Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
kels1023
If you worked while you were pregnant
April 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Did you work up until the day you gave birth? Or did you give your work a date as to when you were going to stop working?

My issue is that I only get 6 weeks maternity leave. If I tell them I'm going to stop working on a certain day and then she comes late it will take time out of my maternity leave. However working up until I give birth might be an issue too. We only have 3 people including myself working at this particular location. They will have to make special arrangements for someone from a different location to come cover for me and I'm sure they would appreciate some notice. Not only that, I work alone most of the time. If I go into labor while I'm working alone I would have to close the business early. I know they're just waiting for a reason to fire me. I started working here in January and didn't tell them I was pregnant because I knew they wouldn't hire someone who's that far along. When they found out they weren't pleased, by by law they can't fire me for being pregnant so I feel like they're just waiting for me to screw up. I'm not sure how to handle this. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Replies

• ksueditz
    April 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    I worked until the day before. I went in that morning w/ light contractions, and spotting. I called my OB, who said go home. Gave birth the next morning. But I also quit my job when I had her.
  • PrdNate
    by PrdNate
    April 3, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I worked until 11 AM and gave birth to my son at 2 PM on the same day.  It might be better for you if you gave them a definite day to stop working so they can get extra help to cover your job.  You don't want to give them a reason to fire you.  If the baby comes late, you will have to work that out with your employer.  Can you take extra time without pay?  I only got 6 weeks, but I took longer without pay so I could be with the baby a few extra weeks.

• kels1023
    April 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    The 6 weeks is without pay unfortunately. I live in Oregon where they can fire you at any time for any reason, or no reason at all. That's really what I'm most worried about. The frustrating thing is that I have tried to talk to my boss about it to see what she would prefer but she won't email me back or call me back. She is based out of Montana so I never actually see her face to face

Quoting PrdNate:

I worked until 11 AM and gave birth to my son at 2 PM on the same day.  It might be better for you if you gave them a definite day to stop working so they can get extra help to cover your job.  You don't want to give them a reason to fire you.  If the baby comes late, you will have to work that out with your employer.  Can you take extra time without pay?  I only got 6 weeks, but I took longer without pay so I could be with the baby a few extra weeks.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts