Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Would you ever hire a consultant to help get your kids to sleep?
April 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Parents Who Hire Sleep Consultants for Toddlers Take the Easy Way Out (VIDEO)

by Julie Ryan Evans

girl going to bedHands down, one of the most frustrating and exhausting (literally) parts of parenting small children is the lack of sleep. From middle-of-the-night feedings to nightmares and kids who just don't want to sleep, there are a number of issues that leave parents red-eyed and in need of copious amounts of caffeine. But should it get this bad?

Nightline recently interviewed parents Danielle and Marcello (who don't want their last name used) who were so desperate for sleep, they took extreme action. Between their two children -- a 2-year-old and a 9-month-old -- they say they were staying up virtually all night long. Danielle said she was lucky if she was getting fours of sleep a night -- and not in a row. 

Both parents work full-time, and when they simply couldn't function anymore, they hired sleep consultants.

The service runs about $2,000, and it includes an overnight visit and follow-up support. That's a lot of dough! And the consultants admit that most families could do what they do themselves -- using things like controlled crying, black-out shades, and sound machines. But if parents aren't able to -- for whatever reason -- then isn't getting someone else to do it worth it?

More from The Stir: 18-Month-Old Hasn't Slept a Single Night Since She Was Born

I suppose it depends on your budget, just how tired you are ... and the level of guilt you might have for farming out such a chore.

The fact these consultants even exist is worrisome to a degree. I mean, do children today really have more trouble sleeping than they did for hundreds of years before such a service existed? Are we really that bad at instilling good sleep habits at an early age? Or are parents today just more willing to throw up their hands and bring someone else in to do the job when they can't. 

I mean, you can hire people to do everything from potty train your kid to help them with their homework and remove lice from their head. Is it a good thing that parents are able to ask for and get help in areas that challenge them (or they don't want to deal with), or is it somehow cheating our children? Is taking the easy way out always a bad thing, or does it make sense sometimes?

I don't know. I suppose if parents have the cash and want to go this route, then that's their business. You just have to wonder if you start down that road of hiring experts when the parenting gets rough where else it may lead you and what message it sends your children.

WATCH VIDEO HERE

Would you ever hire a consultant to help get your kids to sleep?

Replies

• rockie01
    April 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM

nope. I'd be at the library borrowing all kinds of sleepy time stories. Give kid lavendar baths, play soft music. Lecture the kid on being good. Read the bible (this really works)

• Mikeswifee85
    April 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Hell no, it is no ones job but the parents to provide for their children, you bring the child on to the earth you better learn how to take care of them!

• ashley9603
    April 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Nope...I make sure my boys get enough active play and a healthy diet,same with my dd....if that doesnt work I will ask my doc if there is something medically wrong and go from there.

• kibbskins
    April 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Shelling out $2000 for this is not the easy way! Thats a lot of money for the average person to spend on something like this. Those people were desperate and half crazy from lack of sleep I bet.

• Diamepphyre
    April 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Heck no. 

• Venae
    by Venae
    April 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

This couple already hires people to raise their kids, so why not?  Next they should hire someone to come feed them as well.  Kids are so tiresome!  I have no idea how any of us ever made it to adulthood - our parents and grandparents didn't have to access to these kinds of things.

IF YOU HIRE A CONSULTANT TO GET YOUR KIDS TO SLEEP THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR TUBES TIED.  BOTH PARENTS!

• IamMex11
    April 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM

wow...just wow

• keriley1
    April 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I wouldn't hire them for sleeping. I might hire them to remove lice tho like it mentioned in the article....lol

• jeweldragons
    April 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

no

• KMadsen
    by KMadsen
    April 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM

NEVER

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts