Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Against Autism Awareness?
by Anonymous
April 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I've seen this on my fb feed... 

Why are some against lighting it up blue?

Replies

• Aslen
    by Aslen
    April 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Never saw it before....
    And it's used against autism awareness?
  • HelloSweetie
    April 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

• Mrs.Kubalabuku
    April 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Honestly, I hate checking my news feed on days like today.  Most of my family 'thinks" they are helping, but they are just blindly sharing all the misinformation!    What good does it do society if they share the wrong information, and further perpetuate the myths/misunderstandings?

• An0nym0use
    April 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    This. "_______ awareness" doesn't really do anything for most things because people know. Things like "______ awareness" are just ways to do nothing, but still feel good, all while supporting so-called charities don't actually do what they claim. There are ways to actually make a difference, but "bringing awareness" to something everyone already knows about won't do anything.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    April 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    Can anyone provide actual links and not vids showing their financials? I'm not being rude but am honestly curious. I can't find anything backing the vid up.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    April 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM

That is weird. Because Blue is also for Child Abuse Awareness/Prevention. Also held for the month of April 

• redhead-bedhead
    April 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    Bump
  • Kerannmer
    April 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Yes, I am not an Autism Speaks supporter, either. 

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Video sums it up

• Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    April 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    I take that picture as "anti autism speaks" and not "Anti autism awareness", awareness is rarely a bad thing.

We did one walk for autism speaks and then I learned how little they do for families. Now we walk for the school my DD went to for 3 years, they put the money toward helping families like mine.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts