Mom Confessions

luckythreemom
Why would you call your kid that? ***EDIT*** *(Another EDIT)*
April 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM
This is not to rip on anyone, or piss them off. I am asking because I really don't understand.
Why do you name your kid one thing and then call them something else? Whether it is a shortened version or something entirely different? Why don't you name them what you intend on calling them?

*edit* This does not include silly nicknames like: bug, monkey, boo ect...
I am talking You name your kid Samantha Jo, only to call her Jo. Why didn't you just name her Jo? Your son's name is Jeffery, but you call him Jeff. Most adults continue to use the name they used as a child.

***Another Edit***
It is obvious to me that many of you 'ladies' grt on her just to be nasty hags. You don`t actually read the post, only the title, and you don't bother reading any comments either. So for those of you, let me make it as simple as I can.

I was Curious as to Why a parent would do this because naming a kid is usually such a huge deal to the parents. It causes couples to bicker and families to frown, people research the meanings, read many books, scour the internet, and create the Perfect name for their baby. Then call them something else.
I did not say it was wrong, bad , stupid, or anything negative. I simply asked why? After all that work, why? Personally, I put a lot into my kids name knowing it would be said everyday for the rest of their lives and thought they sounded nice. I was just Curious. Not trying to hurt feelings, insult, talk shit about, make myself feel superior, or anybof that bs. Just wanted to hear answers from other. For those of you that answered without being a complete beast, Thank You! The rest of you: it is obvious that you just like to fuck with people. That isn't why I joined this group, so I will not play that game. If you don't take the time to read the post, I will not take the time to respond.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    Idk. My youngest dd's name is Karli but we call her Lulu. Lol
  • HaleyCovington
    April 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    Not my kid not my problem but I don't let anyone call my son something other than his name. I guess people do it because they can't put "bug" or "monkey" on a birth certificate without looking crazy.
  • xanayda
    by xanayda

I call my kids by their names. :)

• Randi02
    by Randi02

I shorten two of my kids' names sometimes. I don't see it as being a big deal, it suits their personalities better now - but they still have the full version for when they are fully grown and want to sound more professional.

• PhantomRose88

I specifically gave my kids names that can't be shortened or turned into nicknames for that exact reason.  

• luckythreemom
    April 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    Quoting Anonymous:

You call her that all the time? Do you ever use her name? Interesting....
  • LucyHarper
    April 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM

My youngest sons name is Robin, we call him Robbie a lot, it's just a fun nickname. We love the name that we gave him and want that to be his name, nicknames are just nice, we call him both names. I know lots of kids who have the same name as a parent, so they go by either a nickname or their middle name to prevent confusion. 

• Canvas_says

I named my daughter Charlotte, but we call her Charlie. Others call her Lotte. But generally kids when they grow up go to the professional name and Lotte or Charlie aren't adult sounding names.

• shivasgirl

funny story...my mom named my little brother Charles Christopher...we called him Chris since birth...when he was 16 he started applying for jobs. I answered the phone one day to a man asking for Charles. I told him he had the wrong number. He called again, I said sorry, wrong number...I hung up and then remembered that Chris' first name was Charles!

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    We use her name. Lulu is just a nickname...

Quoting luckythreemom:

Quoting Anonymous:

You call her that all the time? Do you ever use her name? Interesting....

Mom Confessions