Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Dandruff???? Help!!
by Anonymous
March 31, 2013 at 5:26 AM
I've dealt with dandruff for years now. The only thing I haven't tried is the "no poo" method. I have really long hair and hate that I can't wear it down and am embarrassed to get it cut. Nothing over the counter has worked. Once a few years a rx shampoo worked. But I didn't have refills. I'll go back to the doc if needed but I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong. Literally as my hair dries bad dandruff appears. Like huge flakes. Not little spots. My routine is this:
About twice a week I wash my hair with treseme shampoo and conditioner. Hot showers if that matters.
I don't blow dry, color, or do anything with my hair other than put it in a bun and go. I wash it if I'm going to try and wear it down but that doesn't happen anymore. I gave up. But I want to have my hair cut and wear it down more. Any advice?

Replies

• xtwistedxlovex
    March 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I don't use RX stuff; what I have is Head and Shoulders something or other. I expected it to suck - I've always had a bad impression of the brand - but it works. I also do hot (olive) oil treatments on occasion and sometimes use a vinegar rinse before shampooing to 'exfoliate' a little so it's all washed away better. At least, I did the vinegar thing at first...now that I think about it, it's been a while since I've had to. And the oil is mostly to mosturize/nourish my hair, not really dandruff-related. I just like to keep it soft and silky :-)

Even people with oily scalps can get dandruff. It doesn't have to be dry.

Edit: I checked - H&S pyrithione zinc dry scalp care with almond oil. They have a 2-in-1 but I use the separate shampoo/conditioner. My scalp isn't/wasn't dry but it's been helping anyway.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought this which I why I got the rx once. But my diets good and I don't over use products etc. I don't have dry skin. I'm trying to find out if there's something I'm doing wrong or if I just need to keep the rx forever.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

It's likely caused by a reaction to yeast - which naturally occurs but some people are sensitive to. Vinegar can help, but in my experience is not a cure. I use a shampoo with pyrithione zinc and wash weekly, though it recommends twice weekly. Some people have to continuously switch between zinc, selenium sulfide, and salicylic acid shampoos to keep it under control.

• AndreaMarkel1
    April 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Check this link:

How to Get Rid of Dandruff

Mom Confessions