Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
one_on_the_way
Why all the advice on how to not hear your baby cry?
March 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I have seen several 'sleep training' posts on facebook from mothers who are struggling.....and people reply "hang in there" --- "ear plugs" --- "ipod headphones" --- "you will all appreciate it in a few days!"

Do people NOT know that babies cry for a reason?!?  (reasons aren't always about being hungry, soiled, or hot/cold --- babies actually have emotional and psychological needs, too!)

People tell you it's 'for the baby's own good"  --- b/c, you know, a 6 month old needs to learn to be 'independent' and to 'self-soothe' or he/she will never, ever, sleep on his/her own!!!  *eye roll*  (and, HOW do you define 'self-soothe'?  A baby finally stopping crying doesn't mean he/she has learned to 'self-soothe'......didn't you know crying is EXHAUSTING?!?)

Learned helplessness is not self-soothing.  Sleep training is learned helplessness.  Sugar coat it however you want to make yourself feel better.  Tell yourself how happy you were you did it.....but, your baby just learned that mom won't come anymore when I need her --- that is NOT 'self-soothing'.    

Babies who never 'sleep trained', or went through 'cry it out', are actually capable of being independent and to go to sleep on their own when they are ready.

Vent over.

Replies

• Ninjascreenname
    March 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM
    Agree
  • Kitschy
    by Kitschy
    March 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    Agree
  • svolkov
    by svolkov
    March 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    Yep agree. I hatevhearing my babies cry....so I DO SOMETHING TO FIX IT ;) works better than ear plugs too
  • iuangina
    March 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    Never did let him cry it out...he goes to bed at 8:30 every night by himself he is now 22 months old
  • Sassy762
    March 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I have seen several 'sleep training' posts on facebook from mothers who are struggling.....and people reply "hang in there" --- "ear plugs" --- "ipod headphones" --- "you will all appreciate it in a few days!"

Do people NOT know that babies cry for a reason?!?  (reasons aren't always about being hungry, soiled, or hot/cold --- babies actually have emotional and psychological needs, too!)

People tell you it's 'for the baby's own good"  --- b/c, you know, a 6 month old needs to learn to be 'independent' and to 'self-soothe' or he/she will never, ever, sleep on his/her own!!!  *eye roll*  (and, HOW do you define 'self-soothe'?  A baby finally stopping crying doesn't mean he/she has learned to 'self-soothe'......didn't you know crying is EXHAUSTING?!?)

Learned helplessness is not self-soothing.  Sleep training is learned helplessness.  Sugar coat it however you want to make yourself feel better.  Tell yourself how happy you were you did it.....but, your baby just learned that mom won't come anymore when I need her --- that is NOT 'self-soothing'.    

Babies who never 'sleep trained', or went through 'cry it out', are actually capable of being independent and to go to sleep on their own when they are ready.

Vent over.

• Randi02
    by Randi02
    March 30, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    I agree!

CIO is cruel. I would never leave my baby to cry.
  • fairyjester
    March 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM
    I agree
  • Zazayam
    by Zazayam
    March 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Agree. I can't stand hearing a baby cry, it breaks my heart :(

• banana-bear
    March 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    Clearly you have never had a baby with GERD. There was no amount of love, attention, diaper changes, feedings, etc that I could have done. She just cried for hours on end. I tended to her excessively and I wish I would have thought to wear headphones with music back then. I was going insane.
  • UxorQuodMatris.
    March 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    :(

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts