Mom Confessions

jtsmommie0104
I'm trying to potty train...tell me anything
March 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Yes I am trying to get my 2 year old to use the potty and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Randomly he will just rip off his diaper and go to his potty and pee. Other times he will rip it off and pee in a corner or a trashcan lol. He doesn't want to go in his diaper but doens't really want to use the potty either. I tell him to sit on the potty and he goes No mommy, no potty. So I try to get him to sit on it for a few minutes and usually nothing. It wouldn't be a big deal if he was ripping of his diaper and pissing all on my carpets lol 

Replies

• JsMommy1003
    March 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM

What I did is put my son in Cloth Pullups during the day and took him to teh potty about 2x an hour like every 25-40 minutes and let him get used to going to the potty. I always repeated "You Pee Pee in the potty." From what I understand Diapers Don't let them know that they are wet, So The Cloth Pullups Let him know when he had an accident and He started to catch on. He is now fully Potty trained when it comes to pee pee but Now Im Battling the Poop in pants *sigh* But You can also try rewarding him with something when he goes in the potty Like an M&M or something.

• jtsmommie0104
    March 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Hm, maybe we need pull ups because he is just i diapers all day. He gets excited when he does pee in the potty. I was thinking of maybe getting two more pottys so that they are easier to get to.

Quoting JsMommy1003:

What I did is put my son in Cloth Pullups during the day and took him to teh potty about 2x an hour like every 25-40 minutes and let him get used to going to the potty. I always repeated "You Pee Pee in the potty." From what I understand Diapers Don't let them know that they are wet, So The Cloth Pullups Let him know when he had an accident and He started to catch on. He is now fully Potty trained when it comes to pee pee but Now Im Battling the Poop in pants *sigh* But You can also try rewarding him with something when he goes in the potty Like an M&M or something.

• BEXi
    by BEXi
    March 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Throw a couple cheerios in there and excitedly tell him to "PEE ON THE CHEERIOS"! :P

• BEXi
    by BEXi
    March 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Also, get rid of the diapers. Take him to get big boy undies and let him pick them out.

Put him in UNDERWEAR. Pull ups are a waste of money. Ask him every 20-30 minutes if he needs to go. You must be consistent though.. The cheerio trick really helped me :)

• jtsmommie0104
    March 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I heard about this, I am going to have to get some. That and using food coloring to change the water colors

Quoting BEXi:

Throw a couple cheerios in there and excitedly tell him to "PEE ON THE CHEERIOS"! :P

• jtsmommie0104
    March 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Thanks you just saved me some money because I was definitely going to buy some lol 

Quoting BEXi:

Also, get rid of the diapers. Take him to get big boy undies and let him pick them out.

Put him in UNDERWEAR. Pull ups are a waste of money. Ask him every 20-30 minutes if he needs to go. You must be consistent though.. The cheerio trick really helped me :)

• crazysheep
    March 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    Lol I think ill use this if I ever have a boy!

Quoting BEXi:

• JoquinsMommie

I just started potty training my son (he's 2 as well) I started in the beginning of December let me tell you it was hard at 1st but he got use to it, he have been having accidents but overall he's doing good.

• JsMommy1003

Oh and He might not be fully ready to potty train...My son Kept rebelling at first and I took a break for about two weeks and then went back to it and he accepted the potty training a lot easier....If your interested in the cloth I just got a "best bottom" diaper cover and some small prefolds to put in as a liner. I only used them to potty train so he could feel he was wet.

• The_Doodle
    March 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM

My daughter is finally on her way out of diapers...she has only wore one during the night for a week now. The biggest mistake I made that dragged it out was making her sit on the potty a lot. Everybody kept telling me to sit her on the potty every 20 minutes, every hour, whatever. I tried the different times and, since I was plopping her on it a lot, she balked. She was peeing and pooping in there for a few days and suddenly she would throw a tantrum anytime we even glanced at her potty. I had to put her back in diapers for 3 months. Even now, she will not touch that potty. She uses a toddler ring on the regular toilet.

The biggest thing that has made us successful so far this week is keeping an eye on her and recognizing her cues. She will not tell us every time that she has to pee but she will start grabbing her crotch and walking with her knees closer together when she has to go. She's been pretty good about pooping so far...she will pull her shirt up over her waist and start whimpering and will tell us if we somehow miss that cue.

Hope some of this helps. It is so great not having to wipe a poopy butt up for this long. I hope it continues haha

Mom Confessions