Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
AprilDJC
Is it really cheaper to eat junk?
March 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I see this a lot on here, and I just read an argument on facebook that it is cheaper to eat junk than eat healthier foods. Her theory was based on what you can find,at dollar stores lol. Do you think its cheaper to eat healthy or eat junk?

Replies

• lucky2Beeme
    March 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM

cheaper to eat junk. Fresh veggies and fruit are damn expensive.

• randomosityblog
    March 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

It is and it isn't. If you don't have time to cook from scratch then yes eating junk can be way cheaper.

• randomosityblog

Fresh fruits & veggies are really expensive, as are lean cuts of meat. Junk food, like hot dogs and pizza, isn't.

• imakehimscream
    What she said

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

• mommy_me
    you're going to get women on here who say that its very expensive to eat healthy. You're still going to get women who call bs on that.. I actually find that when I have to put myself on a budget we do eat less fruits and vegetables verses when I can just go to the grocery store and freely shop organic produce or fresh versus frozen
  • Raeann11
    March 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Yes it is cheaper to eat junk that healthy. Go to any store and price them out.

• wolfybaby
    March 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

nope. processed foods are expensive either way [organic tends to cost more though.. but processed/packaged isnt healthy regardless!]

the cost effectiveness of buying whole foods and unpackaged/bagged produce is superb. especially making your own breads. 

one argument i like to make is that, sure, junk food can be inexpensive and so much more convenient. but what you dont pay now, youll pay later in doctor visits and drugs for illnesses. 

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    March 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    This. And fresh foods spoil quickly. Therefore you have to buy them more often.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

• Oostera
    by Oostera
    March 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Yeah, it's expensive to eat healthy. I've been going to the store and getting fresh fruits and veggies and I wind up dropping $300 on it. It pisses me off because I want my family to be healthy. I don't have time to really cook from scratch but throwing a bunch of fresh veggies and some meat into the slow cooker is super. Can't really afford that with these prices:( I hate it.

• LovingSAHMommy
    March 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM

It is unless you know what you're doing. But, I think it's well worth the money to buy foods that are beneficial to your health. I think that if you know how to incorporate fresh and healthy ingredients into meals, it's not all that expensive, really. You just have to know what to do with what you buy, and that's something that takes some practice.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts