Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
jedwards2009
Is this normal? (about the Catholic church)
March 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I was talking to a woman who was wabting to send her children to the local catholic school. If you convert and join the church you get a huge discount. So she was taking the classes. She said a few weeks into the classes they handed her this massive packet to fill out. It wantes their tax info, detials about her sex life, like what positions, oral sex etc. They said missionary style is the only acceptable form of sex. Kept referring to her children as bastards bc she had been divorced and told her she needs to send the pope 500$ to annull her marriage. Just all kinds of crazy stuff! I've been to a few catholic churches, but haven't looked into it much. Is this kind of stuff normal??

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    March 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    Not in my church! There are a lot of strict rules and they do want mo.ey all the time but that is a bit excessive
  • LeetjieJ
    March 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    No.
  • disneymom2two
    March 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I know a lot of parochial schools that give a discount to their parishioners but none that send home a pamphlet like that.  BIL's wife converted to Catholicism and I would definitely have heard if they wanted that info.

• ElizabethGracie
    March 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I'm a Roman Catholic and no,that is not normal.

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    March 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    No. The church has never asked about my sex life and you can still be catholic if you're divorced. And they shouldn't be calling her kids bastards either. Tell her to go to a different parish/school.
  • Lizard_Lina
    March 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    Traditionally missionary is the only acceptable position. Tax info is usually taken for help with scholarships and such. Divorce is looked down on and her children would technically be considered bastards.

Some parishes take that stuff to heart. I've heard of such things if you are looking to work for the diocys but never to send your child to school.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    March 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    Why did you ask this twice?
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    March 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    No.
  • jak3739
    by jak3739
    March 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

This seems completely wrong.  First of all, you may get a discount for being a member of the parish.  Some parishes offer discounts to those who attend their church regularly, althought this is not standard practice and has nothing to do with converting.  Also, it would not be a "huge discount."  We have a parish school and I have many well standing Catholic friends whose children attend the school (some of whom are converts) and they receive no discount for any of this.

Secondly, the program she is talking about is RCIA.  I know many who have gone through this, including my husband, and they have never asked for tax info or sexual information.  There are beliefs within the Church about contraception, waiting until marriage, and proper intimacy but I have never been asked such explicit question nor asked to fill out any paperwork.  We were asked at our wedding if we fully supported the Church's teaching on marriage and family, which we fully do!  But, that was it.

The annulment is another issue.  Annulments are a legitimate disulution of marriage.  They do cost money as any legal proceeding does but there is no mandate that you must have one.  However, since the Church does not suport divorce, if you are divorced  and want to remarry it needs to be approved by the Church and requires an annulment.  I know people who have ggone through this and have never been treated as your friend.

If your friend really does want to be Catholic--because she wants to be Catholic and not because she wants a discount--then I would contact the Bishop of her diocese and dicuss this case.  There is something not right here.  I HAVE NEVER BEEN ASKED FOR TAX INFO NOR HAS ANYONE I KNOW AND I HAVE FRIENDS IN MANY, MANY PARISHES AND DIOCESE.  I hope all works out for your friend.  Assure her that this is not representaive of the Church and she may want to seek another school/parish.  Something is rotten in Denmark.

• jak3739
    by jak3739
    March 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I hadn't thought of the scholarships, that makes sense for the tax info.  I am wondering if some of this is a misunderstanding.  I pray that it is, because this is really bizarre, honestly.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Traditionally missionary is the only acceptable position. Tax info is usually taken for help with scholarships and such. Divorce is looked down on and her children would technically be considered bastards.

Some parishes take that stuff to heart. I've heard of such things if you are looking to work for the diocys but never to send your child to school.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts