Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
mommyrustina
Why do people think Catholics worship Mary?
March 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

So in our homeschool co-op today, we were talking about Brazil and how 75% of the inhabitants are Catholic. The class was 1-3 graders, and one of the kids said that Catholics were bad. I said that wasn't true and asked why she thought that. Another kid piped in with "because they worship Mary".

That is not the first time I have heard that claim, and I am curious to know why that assumption is made. So, why?

Replies

• mommyrustina
    March 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

This post can't be that boring, come on!

• mariesmama
    March 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

because during confession you say hail mary?

• almondpigeon
    March 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

i admit i know next to nothing about catholic practices.  i thought they worship god/jesus, but go through mary...or something?  i don't understand how it works.

• MalakbelLacuna
    March 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    because most people are very uneducated. Often times when someone follows a particualr religion- they refuse to learn about other religions. Theyre told that Catholics worship Mary and thats what they believe. They follow their leaders around like they dont know what else to do. They never learn on their own and believe so many false things and arent even aware of it.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    March 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    I think its all the statues and putting a halo on her.
  • my4yahoos
    March 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    Because they confuse asking her to pray for us, like a friend, they think we believe we are praying TO her. Some also think our statues that remind us of people who have died is idolatry.
  • annelauer
    March 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    Don't catholics pray to Mary and other saints?
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    March 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Many people are idiots and talk out of their ass about something they have no clue about.

• HousewifeNina
    We worship God. We pray to Mary to intercede on our behalf. We pray to.all saints including our departed loved ones to intercede on our behalf.
  • Babujai
    by Babujai

Because they misunderstand or don't know about the role of intercession that Mary and the Saints are believed to have.  They see (or hear) that Catholics pray to Mary and assume Mary must be the object of their worship instead of understanding that Mary carries the prayer to God.  This is how I've explained Catholicism to my children anyway.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN