Mom Confessions

mommyrustina
Why do people think Catholics worship Mary?
March 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

So in our homeschool co-op today, we were talking about Brazil and how 75% of the inhabitants are Catholic. The class was 1-3 graders, and one of the kids said that Catholics were bad. I said that wasn't true and asked why she thought that. Another kid piped in with "because they worship Mary".

That is not the first time I have heard that claim, and I am curious to know why that assumption is made. So, why?

Replies

• surromama
    April 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    My Mom does. I have no idea why, but I've heard her pray to her. I don't practice any religion so I have no idea.
  • LizzieAnnesMom
    April 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    Are they praying to the bed? Are they bowing before the bed in an act of reverance?

IMO bowing before and praying to is worshiping said idol. God instructed us not to do such things. As for the snake in moses day, no one bowed and prayed to ot, did they?

Quoting beesbad:

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

I have plenty of pictures of loved ones. Now do i make a huge statue of them,bow down in front of the statue (which is plainly against the bibles laws), and pray to them? Absolutely not. The is a huge difference between owning a photograph as a memory keep sake, and making a huge statue of someone and praying to it.

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

That is not what the Church teaches.  People bow out of reverence to honor the mother of our Savior.  Do you keep pictures of loved ones?  In the history of western civilization, statues were the equivalent of pictures :)  Asking her to pray for us is the same as asking anyone else to pray for us. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

I always thought that because i have seen people literally bowing down and praying to her statue.

Many Protestants/Evangelicals kneel while reading a bible or at their bedside, are they turning their bible or bed into an idol? Or is it just a device to help them focus their prayers?

Statues and stained glass windows performed a specific function, most people were illiterate and the statues and windows were used as teaching tools. Statues are only idols if the statue is worshipped as a god, the statues in the Catholic religion are vehicles we use to worship and honor God the same way these statues in the bible were used:

• "Make [a statue of] a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and every one who is bitten, when he sees it shall live. So Moses made a bronze serpent, and set it on a pole; and if a serpent bit any man, he would look at the bronze serpent and live" (Num 21: 4-9)
  • "In the sanctuary were two cherubim, each ten cubits high, [15 feet high!] made of olive wood..." (1 Kgs 6:23-28, 7:23-26)
  • "Make two cherubim of beaten gold at the two ends of mercy seat, fastening them so that one cherub springs direct from each end" (Ex 25:18)
  • "The Dwelling itself you shall make out of sheets woven of fine linen twined and of violet, purple and scarlet yarn with cherubim embroidered on them" (Ex 26:1)
  • JBiiirdD
    April 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    We do not worship Mary. This is truly a redundant discussion. lol
  • beesbad
    by beesbad
    April 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Are they praying to the bed? Are they bowing before the bed in an act of reverance?

IMO bowing before and praying to is worshiping said idol. God instructed us not to do such things. As for the snake in moses day, no one bowed and prayed to ot, did they?

My act of worship requires more than bending my knee or waist, if all it took was that then my dirty kitchen floor is an idol. Worship takes intention and you don't have the ability or authority to look at another person and decide for yourself what their intention is. Catholic's don't pray to a statue, sometimes a Catholic prays in front of a statue, there is a difference. If we are going to use your logic you should be careful not to bend or kneel while praying because whatever is in front of you, including your bible, will become your idol.

• LizzieAnnesMom
    April 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    Ae you praying to your dirty kitchen floor?

Quoting beesbad:

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

My act of worship requires more than bending my knee or waist, if all it took was that then my dirty kitchen floor is an idol. Worship takes intention and you don't have the ability or authority to look at another person and decide for yourself what their intention is. Catholic's don't pray to a statue, sometimes a Catholic prays in front of a statue, there is a difference. If we are going to use your logic you should be careful not to bend or kneel while praying because whatever is in front of you, including your bible, will become your idol.

• beesbad
    by beesbad
    April 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Ae you praying to your dirty kitchen floor?

Quoting beesbad:

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Sometimes I pray while I do housework.

I'm not really sure exactly what your point is. You seem to be saying that because a Catholic may kneel in front of a statue while praying then that Catholic must be worshipping the statue as a God.

I'm saying, as a Catholic, that there is one God and He isn't a statue.

You seem to be under the impression that kneeling and praying is worship.

I'm pointing out that people kneel and pray in front of a lot of things and it doesn't mean they are worshipping them. I don't think that a person can accidentally worship something because worshipping requires the intention to worship.

It has already been pointed out that prayer is not equal to worship, 'to pray' means 'to entreat' or 'to ask' and Catholic's do pray, or ask, saints to pray for us. Some people like to assume that means that Catholics don't or can't pray to God which is another erroneous assumption.

So if it makes you comfortable you can continue believing falsehoods about Catholic beliefs but at least now you know they are falsehoods.

Mom Confessions