Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Does a child with ADHD
by Anonymous
March 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM

need a PARA in the classroom? If he does have one, could that mean he has other issues?

My son has a boy in his class who has ADHD according to his mom. She told me he's "normal" aside from the ADHD and they choose not to medicate him. Her choice and I know nothing about ADHD so I will not judge her for it. But whenever my son refers to this boy, he mentions autism. He will say, "so 'n so is autistic".

From what I've witnessed, he needs assistance all the time as he is really high strung. He does have a PARA assigned to him. I'm wondering because my son has expressed to me that he would like the boy to come over for a play date. I don't know how I would handle him. I'm wondering if this is a situation where the mom would have to stick aroun and to be honest, I'd rather she didn't. The boys get along, but she puts me off a little....

I'm too polite to ask her about her childs issues. She's volunteered some info but why would my son refer to hers as autistic yet she tells me he only has ADHD? Btw the boys are 7.

Replies

• New.OrleansLady
    March 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    Depends on his severity of ADHD.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    I've never experienced an ADHD student needing a 1:1. It sounds like there are other issues there.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM

idk, it doesnt matter relaly what he has.. if you know the boy & feel he is ok to have over & they get along.. so be it. handle him as you would any other child. cut it short if your not comfortable. if you dont  like the mom.. thats your issue not the boy. its hard to have playdates & not have some contact w/ the mom.

• iamtryingforme
    March 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM

My daughter has both ADHD & autism. She has assistance in class with her reading because she is 2 grades behind in it. As for the play date tell the mom you would just like the little boy and she what she says. She may enjoy the quiet time. If he is to rough or doesn't observe your rules don't allow him over again.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I am a clinical therapist working with children in schools and within a large counseling center and have never heard of a child with attentional issues having a paraprofessional or we say one on one to assist them in the classroom, there is likely more to the story.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster

That's what I'm thinking too. I've only been around the mom twice and she is very intense. So much so that I try to avoid her. I don't feel good about that but she really does put me off.

I've only been around the child twice too. Once for a class party and once on a field trip. To hear him speak, he appears like any other child. I'm just wondering why he would need a full time PARA.

Could it be because he isn't medicated? Forgive me if I sound ignorant. I really don't know...

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never experienced an ADHD student needing a 1:1. It sounds like there are other issues there.

• Anonymous
    March 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM

That's a good idea. The fact that he has a full time PARA makes me nervous. But for my son, I would like to have him over. I just hope not to be overwhelmed. :-)

Quoting iamtryingforme:

My daughter has both ADHD & autism. She has assistance in class with her reading because she is 2 grades behind in it. As for the play date tell the mom you would just like the little boy and she what she says. She may enjoy the quiet time. If he is to rough or doesn't observe your rules don't allow him over again.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    If its severe enough I guess so. The thing is, its not at all uncommon for them to have other issues along with it that aren't always diagnosed bc parents assume its all ADHD. It can get tricky. My dd wand 2 of my gss are way up on the ADHD chart. Dd ended up medicated from 7-16. She's 24 now and is getting back on them.1 of her 2 dss started meds this month which works like a miracle as it did with dd. They all have side issues as well.
  • momo3fgr8tteens

Just having adhd it is unlikely he would have a para working with him one on one. Doesn't mean it isn't possible.  How old is your son and the child?

• Anonymous
    March 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for your response. I tend to agree. Maybe she just didn't want to disclose everything to me. The kids are young enough that they don't fully understand either so I can't rely on my son.

I guess I'll just have to do a one poster suggested and just have him over and if he doesn't obey rules, never invite him again.

I wish I was better equipped to deal....

Quoting Anonymous:

I am a clinical therapist working with children in schools and within a large counseling center and have never heard of a child with attentional issues having a paraprofessional or we say one on one to assist them in the classroom, there is likely more to the story.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts