Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Roxygurl
Swedish children versus American Children
March 17, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Ive been in Stockholm for a few days and yesterday we explored the city and people watched.  It was really neat to see just how similar and how different things are here.  I live in Houston where everyone drives, there really isnt any public transportation and here everyone walks.  There are a lot of cars and its easy to find a taxi but a lot of people walk. 

The one interesting thing we both observed was just how well behaved the kids are here.  There were kids everyone, almost all in strollers even the older ones and they were all well behaved, nothing like children in America.  We went to the mall and there were no kids screaming running around, we went to a couple of restaurants and once again I saw nothing but well behaved kids.  No screaming.  No running around.  No whining.  It was very different and actually really nice. 

Makes me wonder why there are so many ill behaved children in America and yet none here.  We have not seen one misbehaving child here, not one.

Replies

• krissy920
    March 17, 2013 at 5:09 AM

i went there in august i noticed the same thing about actually  all the European cities i went too. I think if you compare Stockholm to most cities you would see its cleaner more organized, less homeless, less poverty, less traffic. All of these things add up to  happy people. Happy people will tend to have happier families , making things calmer.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 17, 2013 at 5:12 AM

interesting how spanking is illegal there too....

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 17, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    I am an American who lives in Stockholm...trust me a tourist view is complete different than the reality. Children (aka teens) are just as horrible here as they are there. Only difference is they are not held accountable for their actions the parents are no matter what the offense. A group of 10 15 year olds threatened my husband because he wouldn't give them cigarettes. They tag, smoke, break the laws a lot just like teens back home. Homelessness is on the rise here too due to housing shortages. There are screaming babies in stores, crazy toddlers running around unchecked, people who can't wait for their kids to turn 1 to send them off to dagis for 8 hours a day. I can say the quality of life here is better and more family friendly than places I've been back home. In general, it isn't any better or worse than anywhere else.
  • divinedimension
    March 17, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Probably because you don't see many Swedish people feeding their kids junk with food dyes and too much sugar all of the time, and you'll never see pop in a bottle, etc. Their diet seems more healthy. That's key.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 17, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    Maybe there is no ADHD in other countries.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 17, 2013 at 6:39 AM
    Crazy I live in the US and I feel like most children are very well behaved here lol I'm a foreigner from Scandinavia! I see women all the time at the store that have 4 or 5 children and they are all well behaved. Maybe it's also because I'm pretty laid back and I really don't care if a kid throws a fit at the store or whatever. As long as children aren't intentionally hurting others including my children without being stopped by their parents (which has only happened once since I moved here) I really just don't care.
    My family came to visit this summer and my sister commented on how the mothers here are always complementing their children and she said she was going to start doing that more often. I think American women obsess about others way to much! Like you just go to the store and want a child to misbehave so you can be snarky about it! You also have way to many mommy wars, like you aren't comfortable or have to justify your own choices so you put others down for theirs. I'm not saying that women in Scandinavia don't gossip lol because they definitely do, but I've never heard anyone talk shit about someone that puts their kid in daycare, or someone who doesn't. I also can't remember anyone talk about ill-behaved toddlers at the store.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Maybe you just didn't run in to any bratty kids those particular times. Hell, most of the time I go out, I don't see them. It's only every now and then I will hear one having a melt down in the store, and I live in America.

• MichelleSw
    March 17, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    Lol! I love your comment & whole heartedly agree!

Quoting Anonymous:

Crazy I live in the US and I feel like most children are very well behaved here lol I'm a foreigner from Scandinavia! I see women all the time at the store that have 4 or 5 children and they are all well behaved. Maybe it's also because I'm pretty laid back and I really don't care if a kid throws a fit at the store or whatever. As long as children aren't intentionally hurting others including my children without being stopped by their parents (which has only happened once since I moved here) I really just don't care.

My family came to visit this summer and my sister commented on how the mothers here are always complementing their children and she said she was going to start doing that more often. I think American women obsess about others way to much! Like you just go to the store and want a child to misbehave so you can be snarky about it! You also have way to many mommy wars, like you aren't comfortable or have to justify your own choices so you put others down for theirs. I'm not saying that women in Scandinavia don't gossip lol because they definitely do, but I've never heard anyone talk shit about someone that puts their kid in daycare, or someone who doesn't. I also can't remember anyone talk about ill-behaved toddlers at the store.
  • Elle.tea.22
    March 17, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    In all my times in Germany, monte negro or Prague I think I've only seen one child be told off and it looked like they were talking cause e said no at something his mom said. Kids in the states are embarrassing.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 17, 2013 at 7:11 AM
    You obviously have not met my younger cousins who are Swedish! ;) Kids can be horrible no matter where they live!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts