Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
RMB2011
I was raised to believe this.
by RMB2011
March 17, 2013 at 2:56 AM
I don't want to bash anyone or rain on anyone's parade but I have a question or idk debate? When a lot of different issues come up be it abortion, gay marriage, religion, etc. so many people justify their stance (usually of a form of intorelance) by saying 'I was raised that way' or 'that's what I was taught growing up' 'that's what my mother/father/preacher/rabbi/whoever taught me'

I was raised in a very conservative (bigoted) family. Homosexuals are mentally ill and were sexual abused as children that's why they are homosexual. Interracial marriage is wrong. Abortion at any stage, for any reason, is murder. And countless others. But, I grew up. I moved away from home and I realized that most of the things I was raised to believe weren't true. And that it's wrong to see them the way I was raised.

I don't want to bash anyone but for those of you who have used this excuse. Have you read your religious book for yourself? Or just taken someone else's preachings as fact? Do you ever wonder that maybe, if you distanced yourself from the subject and took an unbiased look at it you would feel differently? Have you ever tried to put yourself in that other persons shoes before you judge or condemn them?

ETA: because someone was offended by it. After I called my family conservative and added in bigoted I was making the distinction that while they do align with a lot of conservative beliefs and ideals my family is also very bigoted. I didn't want to imply that all conservatives thought the same as my family.

Replies

• banana-bear
    March 17, 2013 at 2:58 AM
    Yawn
  • holls2188
    bump
  • KristenFowles
    I was raised to think for myself.. And I really appreciate my parents allowing me to come to conclusions on my own, and answer my questions openly, but in a way in which there was no push towards one side or the other.
  • RMB2011
    by RMB2011
    Nap time?

Quoting banana-bear:

Yawn
  • LucyMom08
    March 17, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Interested to see the replies...from what I can gather, empathy is a hard concept for some to grasp...

• RMB2011
    by RMB2011
    Well I'm glad someone was raised that way. Lol I didn't realize what 'thinking for myself' was until I joined the military. As ironic as that sounds lol

Quoting KristenFowles:

I was raised to think for myself.. And I really appreciate my parents allowing me to come to conclusions on my own, and answer my questions openly, but in a way in which there was no push towards one side or the other.
  • banana-bear
    No but I'd love to go to bed. I hate insomnia. Btw, that was a bump for you!

Quoting RMB2011:

Nap time?

Quoting banana-bear:

Yawn
  • RMB2011
    by RMB2011
    March 17, 2013 at 3:00 AM
    I've noticed that, a lot on the Internet especially.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Interested to see the replies...from what I can gather, empathy is a hard concept for some to grasp...

• marihla
    by marihla

I did that myself, distanced myself from my childhood learnings that is. I just don't feel the same as my parents did (which were similar beliefs to your parents)... and now they don't believe any of that anymore either. I think each person should choose their own views and their own lives.

• RMB2011
    by RMB2011
    Thank you! And sorry I know insomnia can suck!

Quoting banana-bear:

No but I'd love to go to bed. I hate insomnia. Btw, that was a bump for you!

Quoting RMB2011:

Nap time?

Quoting banana-bear:

Yawn

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email