Mom Confessions

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
If you smoke.....**UPDATED**
March 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Shes Gone. Please consider quitting.

I am going to get up on my soap box here. Please listen up. Smoking Kills. Its ugly and painful and breaks the hearts of the people who love you. If you come near me with a cigerette in your hand or mouth I will do my best to take it away from you. Quit now, before you make your family feel like their world is coming to an end.  I am watching my mother in law fade away to nothing. She was the most vibrant, energetic loving person. She is the whole families rock. She is love personified. She is peace and joy. She is warm hugs, laughter you can feel in your soul and the ear you need when the world is trying to drag you under. I never knew that peice of my heart was missing until she filled it. And shes going to leave us soon.  Our hearts are breaking.

Within five years of quitting smoking there is a proven 13% reduction in the risk of death from all causes, a 47% risk reduction in heart disease-related deaths, and a 27% reduction in the risk of death from stroke.

Within 20 years of quitting, the risk of dying among former smokers was similar to that of lifetime nonsmokers for most causes of death, with the exception of lung cancer.

People who quit smoking have a lower risk of lung cancer than if they had continued to smoke.

I am 6 years, 5 months and 16 days smoke free. I know its hard. But watching someone you love so much they feel like an extention of your being slowly and painfully die is much much much harder. Don't be that person to someone else. Please quit.

**Added** I am sorry people feel like I am telling you what to do. I am heartbroken. I don't want to see anyone else suffer and if that means sounding like a quit smoking nazi then so be it. I am going to bed. Its been a long few days and its going to be a long few weeks... 6 weeks is what they estimate.  Please, for your loved ones, atleast consider quitting.

**To Clarify*** I would never snatch a smoke out of the hands of a stranger but if I might try to talk to them about quitting. Especially if they are smoking near me. At the very least I would ask them to either put it out or smoke elsewhere and explain why. My hope is that they will consider my words and the reason behind them and my tears of grief and make a good choice.  I only have a few people who are close to me who smoke and all of them have been in this room with my mother in law and have vowed to quit.

I am saddened by how many people are not concerned by what they are going to put their family through at the end. Ultimately its your choice, but if I could transfer my pain to you for just a minute so you can feel what I feel right now.... you wouldn't want to bring it on anyone you love. 

Replies

• KristenFowles
    March 17, 2013 at 2:51 AM
    I loath smoking. I lost my grandmother.. Who is my world, in November to lung cancer..

I'm still completely gutted, and time only seems to make it worse...

I encourage everyone to stop.. She lost her life too soon and it was a slow, miserable death.
  • 1lv2stks3nlz4ev
    March 17, 2013 at 2:54 AM

I am sorry for your loss.  I know the pain you are feeling.  She may not be my mother but she is more of  a Mom than I have ever had in my life.  I cannot stand thinking of the rest of my life without her in it.

Quoting KristenFowles:

I loath smoking. I lost my grandmother.. Who is my world, in November to lung cancer..

I encourage everyone to stop.. She lost her life too soon and it was a slow, miserable death.

• KristenFowles
    March 17, 2013 at 2:56 AM
    It's hard.. There are so many realizations afterwards that you never even think of before.. It's not something you can ever prepare for.

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

I am sorry for your loss.  I know the pain you are feeling.  She may not be my mother but she is more of  a Mom than I have ever had in my life.  I cannot stand thinking of the rest of my life without her in it.

Quoting KristenFowles:

• TalulaBelleLove
    March 17, 2013 at 2:58 AM

BUMP!

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 17, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Gee thanks for that <sarcasm> 

You know people smoke because it is ADDICTIVE. Do you think we like knowing that we are spending money to die?

how about get off your soapbox and offer the people in your life support?

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

I am going to get up on my soap box here. Please listen up. Smoking Kills. Its ugly and painful and breaks the hearts of the people who love you. If you come near me with a cigerette in your hand or mouth I will do my best to take it away from you. Quit now, before you make your family feel like their world is coming to an end.  I am watching my mother in law fade away to nothing. She was the most vibrant, energetic loving person. She is the whole families rock. She is love personified. She is peace and joy. She is warm hugs, laughter you can feel in your soul and the ear you need when the world is trying to drag you under. I never knew that peice of my heart was missing until she filled it. And shes going to leave us soon.  Our hearts are breaking.

Within five years of quitting smoking there is a proven 13% reduction in the risk of death from all causes, a 47% risk reduction in heart disease-related deaths, and a 27% reduction in the risk of death from stroke.

Within 20 years of quitting, the risk of dying among former smokers was similar to that of lifetime nonsmokers for most causes of death, with the exception of lung cancer.

People who quit smoking have a lower risk of lung cancer than if they had continued to smoke.

I am 6 years, 5 months and 16 days smoke free. I know its hard. But watching someone you love so much they feel like an extention of your being is much much much harder. Don't be that person to someone else. Please quit.

• Kitsun
    by Kitsun
    March 17, 2013 at 3:02 AM
    Honestly, I stepped reading after you said you'd take it away.
    It is your right to not smoke, and stay away from someone that is or does. Just as its my right to smoke, and stay away from someone that doesn't.
    I had someone take my pack away, crumple it, and drop it in the trash outside because she didn't like MY choices. She got a good long hours worth of a tongue lashing from dh and the roomie who owned the house
  • 1lv2stks3nlz4ev
    March 17, 2013 at 3:04 AM

I guess you missed the part where I said I am a former smoker. I do know what it's like. I am telling you what you will be doing to your family if you don't do something about it now. I quit, cold turkey. Tried meds, tried patches, tried cutting back. Until I made up my mind that I was in control and NOT the cigerettes, nothing worked. I quit and it is the smartest choice I ever made. That aside I am offering the people in my life support. I have spent the better part of the last two days (since we found out and she was admitted to the hospital) at her bedside, hugging people, sharing memories, hugging them some more and crying.

Quoting Anonymous:

Gee thanks for that  

You know people smoke because it is ADDICTIVE. Do you think we like knowing that we are spending money to die?

how about get off your soapbox and offer the people in your life support?

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

I am 6 years, 5 months and 16 days smoke free. I know its hard. But watching someone you love so much they feel like an extention of your being is much much much harder. Don't be that person to someone else. Please quit.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 17, 2013 at 3:05 AM
    There's nothing worse than reformed smokers.
  • 1lv2stks3nlz4ev
    March 17, 2013 at 3:05 AM

I would do it out of love, not malice.

Quoting Kitsun:

Honestly, I stepped reading after you said you'd take it away.
    It is your right to not smoke, and stay away from someone that is or does. Just as its my right to smoke, and stay away from someone that doesn't.
    I had someone take my pack away, crumple it, and drop it in the trash outside because she didn't like MY choices. She got a good long hours worth of a tongue lashing from dh and the roomie who owned the house

• 1lv2stks3nlz4ev
    March 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Yes there is.... a reformed smoker watching someone she loves die from something preventable.

Quoting Anonymous:

There's nothing worse than reformed smokers.

Mom Confessions