Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
I need help. I have created a monster with my baby
by Anonymous
March 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM

My baby (my 5th) nursed every 2 hours around the clock for 6 months so she has been in our bed. Hubby has slept on the couch for years because he snores and I like to stay up late watching TV which always kept him awake. He is happy on the couch, he says. Anyway, at 7 months of age after my daughter had been weaned for about a month I tried moving her to her crib, which is in my room. She SCREAMED. I couldn't take it and after 20 minutes I caved and brought her in my bed. She is 15 months old now. Every night we read a book, she takes 4 oz out of a bottle and I try to put her in her crib. She SCREAMS. I have tried going in and comforting her every 7 minutes for an hour and nothing works. Nothing is working. All I want is to be able to put her down in her crib and have a little time alone to sit and read or watch some TV or play/read with my older kids without her in my bed. When she is in my bed, she wakes up and screams every single time I creep out of bed in the middle of the night to pee. We have tried it at naptime and bedtime. I NEVER let my older 4 kids in my bed so I am clueless. Any helpful suggestions? I love her to pieces but when I am home she is in my arms or in my lap and even in bed she is right on top or next to me. I just want a little time alone! Thanks!

Replies

• usmchoney
    March 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I think you are just going to have to stick with it when you put her in the crib, consistency is key.

• Uhura
    by Uhura
    March 15, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Let her scream it out.

• akrall83
    March 15, 2013 at 2:32 AM
    I'm in the same boat. I started putting my daughter in bed with me when she was about 2 weeks old because i got her out of her bassinet in my sleep and woke up with her. I was afraid i would do it again and drop her. Now she is 11 months and i need personal space. I did it to myself, i know, but I'm ready to undo it.
  • Fatal_Frost
    March 15, 2013 at 2:34 AM
    At 15 months I'd be really concerned about the screaming, it doesnt sound normal for that age... I co-slept til my son was 2, and my daughters wer 8mths, and once they were asleep, they werent super easy to wake up, I could come and go as I pleased... not all kids who co-sleep have an absolute freak out at being left alone.... at 15 months she very certainly should be able to tolerate being put down
  • jesistar6910
    March 15, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Just be consistent. Make sure that you are comforting her when you go in to put her back down, and not punishing - that will make it worse.

Keep to the same routine each night. For us what works is bathtime with lavendar soap (the aroma helps with relaxation, and gears the body up for rest), then a book to read in bed (right now it's Goodnight Bear), a cup of warm milk and a song in the dark with just the nightlight on (her favorite is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star). Then I give her her favorite blankie, and her monkey, kiss on the cheek, done. She's out.

It took us about three weeks to get set up on that routine. We had to when she suddenly decided at 2 years old that she wanted to rock and roll all night, and sleep all day, but then getting her to sleep was a fucking nightmare. Hours upon hours of screams - not that we let her scream that long -  that is how long it would take us having to get up and put her to bed again. It's been about 4 months now and it works like a charm.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 15, 2013 at 2:35 AM
    Good luck with that. My baby, now 6 was nursing for 8 months. But I pumped alot and he was home with dh. He got soo attached to him, he woke up every night calling dh. He would not sleep threw the night unless he was next to dh....We noticed that as long as something was next to him at night he slept. So ds went to bed with dh, but we put a large teddy in his bed. It must have felt like dh!!
  • elly.H
    by elly.H
    It's gonna be a rough week, but by day 7 she should be okay:) it's hard, but maybe you should sleep in the living room for a couple nights, just so you can rest. Reassure her ofcourse but ya gotta stick it out. Best of luck mama!
  • Kris_PBG
    There are many choices in between do nothing and ignore her while she screams.

Check out Elizabeth Pantley's "The No Cry Sleep Solution".

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM
    U co sleep with my sons both under 3 and 2 they don't wake up till 9 or 10 everyday
  • LucyMom08
    March 15, 2013 at 2:37 AM

That's what I was wondering about...I co-slept with mine but there was never any extreme separation anxiety...

Quoting Fatal_Frost:

At 15 months I'd be really concerned about the screaming, it doesnt sound normal for that age... I co-slept til my son was 2, and my daughters wer 8mths, and once they were asleep, they werent super easy to wake up, I could come and go as I pleased... not all kids who co-sleep have an absolute freak out at being left alone.... at 15 months she very certainly should be able to tolerate being put down

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts