Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Is Michelle Duggar abusive?
by Anonymous
March 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Wow. I've always been the first to defend the Duggar family. On tv they seem perfectly happy, they support themselves, and the kids seem well adjusted. I stumbled upon an article about how one of the girl's wants to move to NYC, but Michelle won't let her. Ok, whatever. Your child moving across the country to NYC would be scary to ANY parent, so not a huge deal. But the discussion in the comments blew. my. mind. They were going back and forth about how Michelle, the mother, is abusive. I decided to research some things they mentioned. And wow. I had no idea that they lived this way and endorced such torturous punishment. Here is one article I read, in it they discuss how Michelle practices something called "blanket training", where she lays the baby on a blanket, baits them to move off of it, and then hits them with a ruler to punish them for giving in to temptation. A baby. This is done so mom can "chat on the phone or do other things without the baby moving". Thoughts?

http://www.chicagonow.com/running-with-a-book-cart/2011/11/are-the-duggars-guilty-of-child-abuse/

Replies

• BluePandaDreams
    March 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM
    Meh. I don't like the Duggars. I think they're bat shit crazy. If said child that is wanting to go to NYC is a minor, the parents do have a say in the matter. If she is over 18, there isn't anything they can do about it.

The baby and the blanket thing....I think is abusive, but that is my opinion.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Infants and discipline are 2 words that don't belong together

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think she is
    She was training the child and anyone who says that babies cannot reason is full of baloney.I have infants look at the thing you just told them no and go for it aagain. Its called discipline.

• waffa
    by waffa
    March 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

she'll keep getting pg and miscarrying till she can't get pg anymore; that's her religious belief to continue to try and procreate/overpopulate...

everytime I hear the Duggar name I think of the old Andrew "Dice" Clay version of Old Mother Hubbard!

Quoting Devious333:

It doesn't shock me but it is sad. Hopefully she's done reproducing..

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM
    So "real" Christians don't sin? Isn't judging others a sin?

Quoting Anonymous:

Christian? As in wear a dress have long hair no tv real Christian or a fake sinning religion Christian? There is a huge difference.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who's "y'all"? I'm a Christian woman and I've never laid a hand (or other object) on my children. They are very respectful members of society.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a book called "to train up a child" that Christian women use..... Of course the "outside" would would think its abuse. We consider it training. We don't have brats for kids like y'all do.

• SoInLove515
    March 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM
    I don't kn
  • Shermy
    by Shermy
    March 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I think it is really fun for people to make up stories, or repeat things their friend's, cousin's, brother's, old teacher who went to school with Michelle Duggar's brother told them.  

The book they are referencing is the one that has been causing a stir, and just because the book recommends it, does not mean that they do it. Additionally, just because someone says Michelle did something, doesn't mean that they did. There are no direct links. 

I have a hard time believing anything said online about another person and especially a "celebrity", without verifiable proof.  

• KayelynnsMama
    March 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I've heard they do blanket training, but I've never heard that they hit the kids if they move off. I've seen them have a child sitting on a blanket on the show before. I don't really see the harm in it if they AREN'T abusing them. The reasoning I heard explained wasn't so mom could go talk on the phone, but so if they were out somewhere the child would stay still and play with their toys. I see no harm in that. I do not in anyway condone abuse to make it possible though.

I love the Duggars and I'm just not entirely sure that I believe they abuse their kids in any way. There are always cameras and other people around.. And we all know people don't hesitate when it comes to running to the tabloids with a juicy story. I think after so many years of being in the spot light someone would have came forward.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I can write a blog about how I plop gold nuggets out of my twat...doesn't make it true.

• paganmommy4
    March 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM

My head is spinning from reading. I just read bits and pieces of train a child, and basically its like training a dog or horse.. Inflicting pain until the child associates said behavior with pain.. I hurt for those kids.. Seeing the show.. Wow. Im  sure those kids have been "beaten into submission" 

• So.Ill.Mama
    March 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM

personally, i think she's nuts for having that many kids. i have 4 and i wanna pull my hair out sometimes.. but i've never watched the show or read anything about them or anything else, so i'm not really one to judge, and i don't think i'm in a position to. 

to each their own.. if i was her dd that was wanting to move to nyc or wherever, i can't say i blame her...the girl probably wants some peace and quiet, and probably some privacy, too.

Mom Confessions