Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
ButterMeUp
Should problem students be automatically disenroled at the age of 16?
March 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Last night my entire family and I went out to dinner for FIL's BD. My SIL told us one of the topics her Current Issues and Events class. This dinner topic was a topic stemmed from something that had happened to her earlier in school Friday ( group of disruptive students caused her to miss 5 questions on her Astronomy quiz). Her teacher ask them if they thought students who are habitual failers simply because they don't care to try and/or troublemakers should be disenroled at 16. She said her class was split on the issue.

Some felt it was unfair to the students who would be disenroled and prey on the poor, which are usually the problem students. They also felt it would set them up for poverty because they would not be able to find work w/out a diploma. While others felt the rights of students who are not problems and/or don't try trump the rights of those students who are and the money "wasted" (65 hundred a school year) on them could go to new books and things that would help the behaved students and go towards programs geared students who are struggling. They also felt it was unfair to those students who are distracted by the toublemakers. You can obviously tell where my SIL fell on the issue lol

I think we all understand hat the problem is heavily caused by admins who often to not back up teachers, but is some this also caused by the students? What should we do with them? Should they be disenroled if they have proven disciplinary problems and/or are students who can not succeed due to their own lack of care? What should we do with them after they are taken out?

Replies

• ButterMeUp
    March 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

This is a problem that troubles my conscience. While I feel we are letting our moral compass force us into trying educate those who do not value the education and are punishing those who do care, I cant emotionally wrap my mind around not educating all children. I feel it's also like pushing them in a corner to rot. However I don't think it's fair to rob well behaved students from receiving the education they deserve. It's almost the a situation of sacrificing the few for the many. Should we sacrifice the badly behaved students who don't care for the well behaved students who give a damn? Who gets to decide who is good enough and who is not? What test proves if a student is actually trying or just going through the motions? Would disenroling kids start a movement that would force these kids to realize the importance of their educations? There are just so many questions.

• audreesmama
    March 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    I do not agree with giving up on young people who are future. We need to find a better way to motivate and engage.
  • quickbooksworm
    March 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    At 16-17, yes, kick them out. Its not fair to take instruction time away from students who care and want to be there. At 16, you either believe or not that education is important.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I thought at 16 a kid would withdraw anyway?
  • angevil53
    They've got two more years. And lots of those kids cannot pass a ged test. Let them slide until they do something that is an expulsion offense.
  • xtwistedxlovex
    March 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Isn't that what Alternative Learning Centers are for?

• ButterMeUp
    March 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I agree to a point, but how eactlly do you do that? Even teachers who care get worndown fromthe students who dont.

Quoting audreesmama:

I do not agree with giving up on young people who are future. We need to find a better way to motivate and engage.

• audreesmama
    March 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    Lol I know this. We have alternative schools do children who are in need of more strict discipline in order to learn. Those with tarnished records also go, so they can learn in a more strict environment. Do you have these schools?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I agree to a point, but how eactlly do you do that? Even teachers who care get worndown fromthe students who dont.

Quoting audreesmama:

• ButterMeUp
    March 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

We have one here, however you cannot attend if you are a discipline problem at your current school.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Isn't that what Alternative Learning Centers are for?

• audreesmama
    March 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    At 16, you can't make most decisions for yourself because you are not 'adult' enough to do so. Why should a child be in charge if his or her own education at. 16?

Quoting quickbooksworm:

At 16-17, yes, kick them out. Its not fair to take instruction time away from students who care and want to be there. At 16, you either believe or not that education is important.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts