Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
ElizabethGracie
Vaccines-Hypothetical Question-How Would You Feel If This Happened To Your Child?
March 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM

So my dh has stolen the remote and is watching Law&Order:SVU,which I normally don't find very interesting,but this particular episode made me think of Cafemom.

So this mother chooses not to vaccinate her four year old child.The child gets measles, doesn't display any symptoms during the early stage of contagion and the mom takes him to a park,where he infects two children,who were also not vaccinated because they were not yet of the age to receive the vaccine. One of the children dies of a brain infection due to measles. The mother of the non-vaccinating four year old is put on trial for murder.

Now,I'm not saying that this could or would happen. But if your child was eleven months old,not yet old enough to be immunized and then died because of a choice someone else made for their child,how would you feel?

I thought it brought up some very interesting questions about personal responsibility to yourself,your child and your community and how our choices can affect other people's lives.

Replies

• LoveTragedyFun
    March 10, 2013 at 3:34 AM

It doesn't matter. A person who receives the MMR vaccine can shed the illness for up to 28 days. Which means that it is MORE likely that the vaccinated person would give someone the illness since they have the illness in their body.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    March 10, 2013 at 3:38 AM

I saw this episode a long time ago and I agreed with charging the mom.  The problem with non vaxing parents is that they were not born when these diseases killed and maimed, so they have no clue what it was like before the vaccines.  What is going to happen(and the medical community is afraid of this) is that we are going to see a return of these diseases. Measles is back, whooping cough, etc...there also was a documented case of polio.  These diseases did not exist a few  years back.  I don't know how any parent allows their child to go  out into this world unvaccinated.

• Lovinmybabas
    March 10, 2013 at 3:38 AM
    Bump
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    March 10, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

It doesn't matter. A person who receives the MMR vaccine can shed the illness for up to 28 days. Which means that it is MORE likely that the vaccinated person would give someone the illness since they have the illness in their body.

hmmmm during my childhood when just about everyone vaccinated, measles did not exist.  Your theory is not accurate.

• MissMissfit
    March 10, 2013 at 3:40 AM

This.

Quoting Anonymous:

I saw this episode a long time ago and I agreed with charging the mom.  The problem with non vaxing parents is that they were not born when these diseases killed and maimed, so they have no clue what it was like before the vaccines.  What is going to happen(and the medical community is afraid of this) is that we are going to see a return of these diseases. Measles is back, whooping cough, etc...there also was a documented case of polio.  These diseases did not exist a few  years back.  I don't know how any parent allows their child to go  out into this world unvaccinated.

• LoveTragedyFun
    March 10, 2013 at 3:40 AM

LOL you are clueless.

Those recent outbreaks you speak of...they are happening MOST in vaccinated people. It has NOTHING to do with the unvaccinated population. Polio was at a steady decline BEFORE mass vaccination.
    Those illness STILL existed with or without vaccines. LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    March 10, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Exactly my point every time this subject comes up. Vaccines save many more lives than they hurt/maim/kill.

• Uhura
    by Uhura
    March 10, 2013 at 3:42 AM

This is why I do vaccinate my children, I don't want them to further a disease that can kill people but also be easily controlled.

• LoveTragedyFun
    March 10, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Oh is that so?

Clearly, you know nothing about vaccines. Those illness STILL existed. In case you lack the ability to understand what you read, I'll say it again. The MMR vaccine is a LIVE virus, which means that by injecting the vaccine, you are inject the actual illness in to your body- and the virus sheds for up to 28 days. Which means that vaccinated people are carriers or hosts and pass it on to others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

hmmmm during my childhood when just about everyone vaccinated, measles did not exist.  Your theory is not accurate.

• LoveTragedyFun
    March 10, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Oh really?

Tell that to the thousands of people in Ethopia who received a polio vaccine and still ended up with polio.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly my point every time this subject comes up. Vaccines save many more lives than they hurt/maim/kill.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts