Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Untalked about effects of the goverment sequestering
by Anonymous
March 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I work for the DoN as a governmet contractor. I make a good income but to be at that level I have had to maintain a security clearance(having to watch everything that can be used), attended college while working full time (2 degrees BS & Ms), worked my way from admin assistant to senior enginneer. It has taken a ton of sacrifice and dedication. So we were told about pay cuts coming. I got mine 10% of my yearly pay. That takes away every raise that I have busted butt for, dropped my salary to less than when I started.

To make up difference of salary I am doing consulting but that takes time. How it affects people around me indirectly:

Making lunches 40.00 week less in local food place.
Not going to dinner twice a week 200.00
Not buying new clothes once a month.
Biking more instead of driving
Buying more clothes at thrift stores and yard sales.

All my belt tightening affects others. Taje that times all the other goverment people that will do same thing it will spiral.

Even after consulting jobs come in I still will tighten up.

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    March 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM

My dh is a federal worker as well, and has had a pay freeze for over 2 yrs.  I am already frugal and don't spend a lot.  Now I am really not going to spend at all.  It is a shame they are taking it out on the middle class.  I can think of other ways to cut, but I know it would not be a popular opinion on CM here.  It is just so wrong.  Everyone will be affected eventually, and it is not going to be good for the economy.

• littlelamb303
    March 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM

BUMP!

• Amberleigh81
    March 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    It's stupid and you're right - the larger economy will suffer from the ripple effects of your furlough. It's a shame there are no adults in Washington... on either side!!!
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    March 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Well we are still waiting to hear the official news about it. It is a hurry up and wait game I swear. My next paycheck is going to show the paycut. I am trying to see where else I can cut corners. OF course my television is rapidly dying..timing is impeccable. I do admit that it is 7 years old SO...it was due to happen.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN