Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Makhismommy
Over Weight Baby
March 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Just to give you a little background - I gave birth to my son who was 9lbs 12 oz at birth. I will admit I gave him cereal in his bottles a little earlier to help him sleep at night. Now he is almost 6 months and we have started doing foods (fruits and veggies). My friend gave birth to her daughter whom was around 7 lbs. Both myself and friend are on the heavier side as it runs in our family- ( I'm working n losing mine btw) but my friend refuses to feed her daughter infant foods and cereals because she is afraid that her being a chubby baby will make her a chubby and over weight adult. I think that if you teach a healthy lifestyle then you wont have to worry about your child turning into an over weight adult. PLEASE ADD YOUR OPINION -CAUSE I THINK HER REASONING IS DUMB

Replies

• audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM

OP stated she gave cereal in a bottle, which we know is a huge no-no. That was probably before 6 months, since he's 6 months now. 

Either way, a baby STILL doesn't need baby food until a year. Even then, it isn't a big deal. 

I was posting this in reference to the OP's issue with sleep and her son. There are other ways besides cereal in the bottle.

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Yeah, I was talking about six months not three.

Quoting audreesmama:

Also--

Link

The other study, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC), looked at low-income, black mothers — a group that tends to start solids earlier — and found that first-time mothers were likely to feed their babies solids because they thought their “fussiness” meant they needed additional supplementation.

Most of the babies studied — 77% — were fed solids at 3 months; just 6% were exclusively breastfed. Moms who characterized their infants as fussy were twice as likely to feed them solid food and juice at four months. The babies getting solids ahead of schedule were digesting 100 calories a day more than those who weren’t. “It’s very significant for a baby because the typical infant takes in 500 to 700 calories,” says Heather Wasser, a nutrition doctoral student at UNC and the study’s lead author.

Of course, it’s not hard to figure out why moms may fall back on feeding as a soothing strategy; after all, many adults self-soothe by eating. There’s even a term for it: “comfort food.” But if we’re going to stanch the tide of childhood obesity, moms would be better off offering comfort alone and saving the solids for down the line.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/07/babies-who-start-solids-too-early-more-likely-to-be-obese/#ixzz2Mp4kbIcn

• audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Eh, opinions are like assholes, and they won't get you very far in life. I suggest you do the correct thing and do proper research. There are many articles and a lot of information out there that will certainly prove your friend to be right in this situation. I'm sure you'll gain some incredible knowledge :-). Good luck! 

Quoting Makhismommy:

neither just your opinion...you stated it so therefore your finished and i am done replying to you

Quoting audreesmama:

Are you looking for information, reassurance...or...?

Quoting Makhismommy:
     everybody does thing differently

• Makhismommy

no he definitely isnt eating adult food....baby food

Quoting Anonymous:

Not the best reason, but my son only had infant foods for about 2 months for a bit of practice, then we moved on to what ever me and dh where eating......

• Anonymous 7
    by Anonymous 7

different vs right...hmm...cereal in a bottle is not right, so...

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Interesting.

Quoting audreesmama:

Baby food IS considered table food. Anything aside from breastmilk/formula is considered table food. 

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

I'm talking about baby food. Not table food.

Quoting audreesmama:

No, not really. What about BLW? Babies ONLY NEED breastmilk/formula for the first year. Table foods are just for fun. 

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Oh for goodness sakes, that baby should be eating baby fruits and vegetables now. That's just silly.

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

How old is her baby?

now 7 months old

everybody does thing differently

• Nynnie
    by Nynnie
    March 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    My son was born 6lb 13oz. At 1 1/2 months he was around that same weight, it's much better to have a chubby baby than a skinny one, I promise. Anyhow, he got over that. I didn't give him anything besides formula and juice in his bottles. He started cereal at 4or5m and vegies then fruits at 6 months and even this little man, coming from 2 skinny parents got chubby. They're eating, but they aren't able to work off the weight yet. When they start walking, they run that baby weight right off.
  • Anonymous 7
    by Anonymous 7
    March 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Are you serious right now? You gave him cereal in a bottle? 

Your friend is right, and you need parenting classes. WTF. 

• LovelyMommy24
    March 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    Uhh, I was talking about her friends baby. Not how she chose to do things. I also did not say any baby needed them to sleep.****Hence why I asked how old the baby was.

Quoting audreesmama:

OP stated she gave cereal in a bottle, which we know is a huge no-no. That was probably before 6 months, since he's 6 months now. 

Either way, a baby STILL doesn't need baby food until a year. Even then, it isn't a big deal. 

I was posting this in reference to the OP's issue with sleep and her son. There are other ways besides cereal in the bottle.

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Quoting audreesmama:

Also--

Link

The other study, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC), looked at low-income, black mothers — a group that tends to start solids earlier — and found that first-time mothers were likely to feed their babies solids because they thought their “fussiness” meant they needed additional supplementation.

Most of the babies studied — 77% — were fed solids at 3 months; just 6% were exclusively breastfed. Moms who characterized their infants as fussy were twice as likely to feed them solid food and juice at four months. The babies getting solids ahead of schedule were digesting 100 calories a day more than those who weren’t. “It’s very significant for a baby because the typical infant takes in 500 to 700 calories,” says Heather Wasser, a nutrition doctoral student at UNC and the study’s lead author.

Of course, it’s not hard to figure out why moms may fall back on feeding as a soothing strategy; after all, many adults self-soothe by eating. There’s even a term for it: “comfort food.” But if we’re going to stanch the tide of childhood obesity, moms would be better off offering comfort alone and saving the solids for down the line.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/07/babies-who-start-solids-too-early-more-likely-to-be-obese/#ixzz2Mp4kbIcn

• audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Cereal and juice are both just pure sugar. There are many studies that prove early introduction to solids (which cereal and baby food are) does have a direct correlation to childhood and adult obesity. 

Quoting Nynnie:

My son was born 6lb 13oz. At 1 1/2 months he was around that same weight, it's much better to have a chubby baby than a skinny one, I promise. Anyhow, he got over that. I didn't give him anything besides formula and juice in his bottles. He started cereal at 4or5m and vegies then fruits at 6 months and even this little man, coming from 2 skinny parents got chubby. They're eating, but they aren't able to work off the weight yet. When they start walking, they run that baby weight right off.

• audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM

...Then why did you quote this particular reply??

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Uhh, I was talking about her friends baby. Not how she chose to do things. I also did not say any baby needed them to sleep.****Hence why I asked how old the baby was.

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Quoting audreesmama:

Also--

Link

• AustinRonMommy
    March 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM

My oldest was such a fatty as a baby and he's 5 now and so skinny. And my youngest was also a fatty baby and he's 3 now and while he's stockier than most kids his age he isn't considered overweight or anything...he's just short and stocky...like my exDH 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN