Mom Confessions

Makhismommy
Over Weight Baby
March 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Just to give you a little background - I gave birth to my son who was 9lbs 12 oz at birth. I will admit I gave him cereal in his bottles a little earlier to help him sleep at night. Now he is almost 6 months and we have started doing foods (fruits and veggies). My friend gave birth to her daughter whom was around 7 lbs. Both myself and friend are on the heavier side as it runs in our family- ( I'm working n losing mine btw) but my friend refuses to feed her daughter infant foods and cereals because she is afraid that her being a chubby baby will make her a chubby and over weight adult. I think that if you teach a healthy lifestyle then you wont have to worry about your child turning into an over weight adult. PLEASE ADD YOUR OPINION -CAUSE I THINK HER REASONING IS DUMB

Replies

• azeventdiva
    March 12, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Food before one should be just for fun. To teach eye hand coordination & learn tastes. Not so much for nutrition. My children all started eating foods at different ages. I never did baby cereal (it's actually has no nutritional value). I did puree what ever I was eating for my first starting at around 6mo old. My 2nd never liked pureed foods, so I simply cut foods super small for her, when she started showing interest at around 8mo. My 3rd did the same as my 2nd, but closer to 6mo. My 4th (which was the largest at birth weighing 9lbs 4oz) had no interest in foods till she was over a year. I offered them, but she only played with them and threw them on the floor. No interest in putting them in her mouth. They are all height/weight proportionate & all very active. They are all in the 80-90 percentile on growth charts, but that comes from being tall (my whole family is pretty tall). My son, who is 3 wears size 5 clothes, but is thin.

• missarahmt
    March 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    Maybe she would feel more comfortable doing Baby-Led Weaning. Tell her to do some research on it. There is a grea book on it by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett.
  • aj_mom
    by aj_mom
    March 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM

That is so dumb I'm sorry to say. I was a very chubby child when ppl see my baby pictures they don't believe its me and I grew out of it. It all depends on the metabolism.

• CarolynC71
    March 25, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Does she expect the child to drink milk only for the rest of her life? Good grief. That child needs to learn to eat solid foods or else she is going to have a VERY picky eater. That child needs the nutrition in the fruits, vegetables and meats. She will need to learn to eat something or else she won't grow and mature properly. You might also remind her that proper nutrition can be considered neglectful and she could have Children's Services knocking on her door very soon if she doesn't change her way of thinking.

it is not necessarily what we eat that causes us to gain weight as much as it is how much we eat.

• kali_mom
    March 29, 2013 at 2:04 AM
    I had a 9lb 13.5oz baby 10 months ago and I have only given her breast milk up until 2 weeks ago. She is thriving and just right on the charts. I have to admit I did give my 1st child cereal around 6 months and he is very thin. I do believe its a combination of genetics and proper food education. I don't buy soda pop and we ate very little meat and No Pork. My next 3 children I waited past 6 months before introducing cereal and or solids and they are all average or below average in weight. I would not offer cereal or solids until 10 months or older if I had anymore children because I now feel it's not necessary. If I had it over to do, I would have waited. If you ever want or need motivation regarding your weight loss just send me a message. One day at a time :-)
  • partingwhisper
    March 29, 2013 at 4:39 AM

talk with your child's pediatrician about your concerns. most babies might get a bit chubbier eating solids sooner but the rapid growth will usually even out the weight 

• crumpy_gat
    No.
    March 29, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Why is this back?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 29, 2013 at 4:53 AM

personally i had boys 10.3 and 9.6 one still runs on larger side, never had him not come in over 100% tile the other went from 103% of US now 3 is only in the 36%range.  I ebf but totally dont believe in giving a baby solids or "fake" baby food especially cereals.  We start solids around a year that are fresh and natural and it never effected either of my children in a negative capacity.  Every child is different, even being a larger child does not mean you will be an overweight adult, nor does being a skinny child ensure you will be a skinny adult.  feeding solids too early before your child can even process them properly can lead to being overweight and issues that will last a lifetime.

• Bonita131
    March 29, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Eating baby foods is okay at six months, but not necessary. Babies only need breastmilk or formula for the first year. Baby food is just practice, and that's perfectly okay.

Her reasoning is dumb. I was a huge, chubby baby and stayed chubby until I was almost four. Everyone said I looked like a small Michelin Man. Now I'm 5'10 and weigh 130 pounds and wear a size four.

My one year old daughter was 7 pounds, 1 ounce at birth. Then she got crazy chubby for awhile. Now she is right at average.

Size as an infant is not indicative of size as an adult, in most cases.

Babies only need breastmilk or formula for the first year.

That's probably the dumbest statement ever made.

• armywife009
    March 29, 2013 at 5:49 AM

I get what you are saying, but like on pp said, baby food and cereal are not necessary. 

Mom Confessions