Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Makhismommy
Over Weight Baby
March 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Just to give you a little background - I gave birth to my son who was 9lbs 12 oz at birth. I will admit I gave him cereal in his bottles a little earlier to help him sleep at night. Now he is almost 6 months and we have started doing foods (fruits and veggies). My friend gave birth to her daughter whom was around 7 lbs. Both myself and friend are on the heavier side as it runs in our family- ( I'm working n losing mine btw) but my friend refuses to feed her daughter infant foods and cereals because she is afraid that her being a chubby baby will make her a chubby and over weight adult. I think that if you teach a healthy lifestyle then you wont have to worry about your child turning into an over weight adult. PLEASE ADD YOUR OPINION -CAUSE I THINK HER REASONING IS DUMB

Replies

• Makhismommy
    March 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I mean ive known some big babies being the skinniest adults and formula does have more calories that formula

• Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    I think you introduced things too soon, feel guilty and are using her parenting slightly different parenting choices to sooth this guilt.
  • LovelyMommy24
    I'm talking about baby food. Not table food.

Quoting audreesmama:

No, not really. What about BLW? Babies ONLY NEED breastmilk/formula for the first year. Table foods are just for fun. 

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Oh for goodness sakes, that baby should be eating baby fruits and vegetables now. That's just silly.

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

How old is her baby?

now 7 months old

• KristenFowles
    March 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM

.. Her child needs adequate nutrition.. She can't starve her because she's afraid that she MIGHT be fat..

I struggled with being overweight as a child and even as an adult, it's a LOT of work to stay "thin" ... My kids? THIN.  They've only known good eating habbits.

• Makhismommy
    March 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Quoting KristenFowles:

.. Her child needs adequate nutrition.. She can't starve her because she's afraid that she MIGHT be fat..

I struggled with being overweight as a child and even as an adult, it's a LOT of work to stay "thin" ... My kids? THIN.  They've only known good eating habbits.

nothing wrong with a little baby food

• audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Baby food IS considered table food. Anything aside from breastmilk/formula is considered table food. 

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Quoting audreesmama:

No, not really. What about BLW? Babies ONLY NEED breastmilk/formula for the first year. Table foods are just for fun. 

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Oh for goodness sakes, that baby should be eating baby fruits and vegetables now. That's just silly.

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

How old is her baby?

now 7 months old

• audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM

That statement is incorrect. 

Source

Starting formula-fed babies on solid food too early may increase their risk of becoming obese by the time they reach age 3, according to a prospective study.

The study, which followed more than 840 young children, found that formula-fed infants introduced to solid food before four months of age had a 6.3-fold increased odds of obesity at age 3, Dr. Susanna Y. Huh of Children's Hospital Boston and colleagues reported online in Pediatrics.

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting KristenFowles:

nothing wrong with a little baby food

• LovelyMommy24
    March 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    Interesting.

Quoting audreesmama:

Baby food IS considered table food. Anything aside from breastmilk/formula is considered table food. 

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

How old is her baby?

now 7 months old

• audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Also--

Link

The other study, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC), looked at low-income, black mothers — a group that tends to start solids earlier — and found that first-time mothers were likely to feed their babies solids because they thought their “fussiness” meant they needed additional supplementation.

Most of the babies studied — 77% — were fed solids at 3 months; just 6% were exclusively breastfed. Moms who characterized their infants as fussy were twice as likely to feed them solid food and juice at four months. The babies getting solids ahead of schedule were digesting 100 calories a day more than those who weren’t. “It’s very significant for a baby because the typical infant takes in 500 to 700 calories,” says Heather Wasser, a nutrition doctoral student at UNC and the study’s lead author.

Of course, it’s not hard to figure out why moms may fall back on feeding as a soothing strategy; after all, many adults self-soothe by eating. There’s even a term for it: “comfort food.” But if we’re going to stanch the tide of childhood obesity, moms would be better off offering comfort alone and saving the solids for down the line.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/07/babies-who-start-solids-too-early-more-likely-to-be-obese/#ixzz2Mp4kbIcn

• audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'interesting'.

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Interesting. 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts