Mom Confessions

Makhismommy
Over Weight Baby
March 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Just to give you a little background - I gave birth to my son who was 9lbs 12 oz at birth. I will admit I gave him cereal in his bottles a little earlier to help him sleep at night. Now he is almost 6 months and we have started doing foods (fruits and veggies). My friend gave birth to her daughter whom was around 7 lbs. Both myself and friend are on the heavier side as it runs in our family- ( I'm working n losing mine btw) but my friend refuses to feed her daughter infant foods and cereals because she is afraid that her being a chubby baby will make her a chubby and over weight adult. I think that if you teach a healthy lifestyle then you wont have to worry about your child turning into an over weight adult. PLEASE ADD YOUR OPINION -CAUSE I THINK HER REASONING IS DUMB

Replies

• Makhismommy
    March 6, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

How old is her baby?

now 7 months old

• tharealty2
    March 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I agree with your friend - unhealthy eating habits like giving baby cereal in bottles too soon,. absolutely do contribute to overweight babies and adults, and their have been connections with diabetes and that practice as well.  She's got the right idea - the earlier you start healthy eating habits, the better.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Well formula fed babies ARE more likely to become obese adults, so there's something to it yeah.

• audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Actually, early introduction to table foods has been linked to childhood and adult obesity. Her reasoning isn't stupid at all. Food before one is just for food. Breastmilk/formula is all the baby needs for the first year.

• audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I just posted this, too LOL. It seems like we're in agreement on just about everything! 

Quoting tharealty2:

I agree with your friend - unhealthy eating habits like giving baby cereal in bottles too soon,. absolutely do contribute to overweight babies and adults, and their have been connections with diabetes and that practice as well.  She's got the right idea - the earlier you start healthy eating habits, the better.

• angevil53
    March 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM
    That is stupid bc there's fewer calories in baby food than formula or bm.
  • LovelyMommy24
    March 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM
    Oh for goodness sakes, that baby should be eating baby fruits and vegetables now. That's just silly.

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

How old is her baby?

now 7 months old

• nbgg8687
    March 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting nbgg8687:

My son was a large baby and he is not over weight by any means right now. He is bigger then most kids his age, but mostly because he is so tall

yea my son was 21.75 inches long at birth and now he is 27 inches @ 6 months

It really does have a lot to do with teaching good eating habits and keeping them active. My recent baby was huge, but she lost almost three pounds with in a few days after birth and compared to the other two children, her growth has slowed a lot. I always considered my kids healthy when they ate well, even as babies. They werent afraid to try new things and even now they are great eaters... but they are very active and eat very healthy. But thats an inch a month your baby grew! lol. Holy moly!
  • audreesmama
    March 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM

No, not really. What about BLW? Babies ONLY NEED breastmilk/formula for the first year. Table foods are just for fun. 

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Oh for goodness sakes, that baby should be eating baby fruits and vegetables now. That's just silly.

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

How old is her baby?

now 7 months old

Mom Confessions