by AleaKatMarch 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM4th-5th grade is a but young.
I know I had " boyfriends" then but it was puppy love.
I met DH at 15 so I think that's a good place to start.
Yes My sons dated in 5th grade. Why ? because they asked. Why did I let them because I saw other kids sneaking around doing it. We sat our boys down and told them the rules of dating.
1) call her parents and ask if you can date her (thought for sure that would end it right there)
2) make a plan of what day, where you want to go and then call her and ask her out.
3) I or dh & I chaperoned these dates.
4) we pick up the girl. Sons go to door.Go in meet parents, reiterrate the plans. ASK what time date needs to be home.
5) Treat her like a lady just like dad has shown and taught you.
6) buy her movie ticket, drink, snack & sit 1 row in front of mom
7) after date walk her to the door, thank her parents for allowing you to date her.
We did this until HS. It worked for us. Parents of the girls loved how my sons treated and respected them and their DDs.
The "going out with" stuff that 5th graders are talking about is rarely actual dating. Even my first "boyfriend" at 13 was hardly dating - we were neighbors who played with our TMNT action figures all the time and went out to the movies once.
March 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Not too young IMHO. They aren't really "dating" because they can't go anywhere on their own. My kids will probably have cell phones when they start middle school so that we can all stay in touch.
This was common when I was in 4th and 5th grade.
My ds is 11 he's in the 5th grade it drives me crazy all his friends have girlfriends and all the girls are boy crazy.
Ds isn't into girls yet thank goodness he's only interested in sports right now.
I find notes from girls in his backpack and it's nuts how these young girls act.
One girl in 4th grade started calling my son "gay boy" because she kept bugging him and he finally had enough and told her no he isn't into her!
by Anonymous 2March 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Those pacifiers are weird, I thought that whole trend died years ago...
As far as boyfriends/girlfriends, yeah they do that. My son is in 5th and had his first GF this year, his BFF had his last year. But BF/GF isn't what you think. It's holding hands and passing notes, just with a title. That's all.
High school is a real stretch but I wish you the best of luck. Just keep in mind that being that strict may cause your kid to rebel like crazy and do it anyway (and hide it from you).
My son also has a cell phone. But he's very restricted on its usage, etc.