Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
hope4rockell
has your baby ever cried so much you wanted to shake it so it would stop?
March 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM

if this saved even one life, would you share this video?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 47% - Yes
  2. 44% - No
  3. 8% - I just did

Replies

• Alliemad_3
    March 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM
    I understand how unstable people can get to that point. But I just put the baby down and walked away. It breaks my heart that there are people who cannot control the frustration and take a breather.
  • Anonymous 131
    by Anonymous 131
    March 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Not conciously have i wanted to but with my 1st child he was colicky, nothing i did could make him stop screaming (drs found he was severly constipated) anyways id could feel my self begginning to sweat after endless sleepless nights and i could feel my blood begin to boil wondering why he hated me after all i do for him (of course that wasnt a logical thought but at the time thats what ran thru my head) I guess 3 hrs of broken sleep a night gives u some illogical thoughts, but needless to say ive felt the muscles in my arms shake at times and id have to ever so carefully put him down. Not sure if it was really a though of shaking him but just a feeling of wanting to do anything to make him stop crying just for a lil while. I made it through and i just want to say to all those moms out there wiht sleep deprivation, it WILL get better And YOU can control your impulse and most importantly your baby loves you more than anything in this world.

• ChristyG2012
    March 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM
    The poll wasn't asking if you've shaken a baby or wanted to. It asked: If it would save even one life would you share this video? I said yes.

No, I've never shaken a baby. Maybe that's why the votes are practically 50/50...people are confused on what question they're answering!

Quoting Anonymous:

I think all the people who voted yes and I just did to this post should be looked into by child services!!!!! Their IP Address should be ran to see where they live.

• Armywife081011
    March 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I have gotten frustrated but was always taught to get the baby calm by finding out what is wrong and then when the baby is all taken care of walk away and that way frustration doesn't turn into something worse. Both of my babies have been colicky and it has its moments where I want to pull out MY OWN HAIR but anytime I feel the urge to go crazy I remind myself of all the amazing things they did that day and how I would be devestated if they couldn't do those things because I couldn't control my frustration. 

• lannabear
    March 11, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    I don't remember ever wanting to shake my son but I remember holding him while he was wailing, and bawling... begging him to stop so mommy could get some much needed sleep..
  • Jannet20
    March 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    Oh my GOD! That is really saad :'(. I did shake my daughter once when she was about 1 year or a little older, but not like that, she is fine, but I cant forgive myself for actually doing that, and thank GOD she did not stop crying that day or she would be like poor Rockell. I was so young (16) I didnt know how to handle the situation that is why I just worry when I see young mothers with no experience and no patience. Second time mommys are always experts, I love my daughter and that never ever happened again, and it never will.
  • jynne
    by jynne
    March 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    The babysitter didn't fit the typical profile either. White, married, educated. Maybe the world needs to stop believing that because you have a degree it's possible to still act like an idiot. CPS should anyway.

Quoting hope4rockell:

soooo, you wouldn't consider your babysitter to be "trailer trash" (an expression) after having done that to your son?

I'm just asking.

Side note: 1 million % agree that hospitals need to do a better job of screening for SBS when I an infant is brought in. Somehow it must become MANDATORY for a Brain scan / MRI be done when doing a work up on an infant

We took our granddaughter to the hospital when because she was barely breathing (the first time our EX son-in-law shook her), we had no idea it had happened but the hospital said "we don't see anything externally wrong but there is a small mark on her face (was a birthmark) so, we have to do a child welfare checkup for potential abuse ........ is that OK"? We were like, "yeah, absolutely its OK"

HAD THEY done an MRI they would have caught the bleeding ......... but nope, they did everything except check her brain. Said, well, she seems fine so you can take her home. Then, 3 days later, it happened again. That's when the actual childrens hospital jumped into action (they kind of had to) because she had stopped breathing by then

Quoting jynne:

I wish everyone (including doctors and nurses) knew you didn't have to be 'trailer trash' for this to happen to you. My son went to three different emergency rooms and a pediatrician over a 3 day period before he was finally diagnosed. Not fitting the 'profile' by being white, married, educated and both having full time jobs apparently made all the medical professionals we saw fail to recognize that this could still happen to us. I will never stop wondering if catching it three days sooner could have made any difference. When CPS got involved they didn't care that we had spend days taking him to doctor after doctor telling them that something was wrong with our baby only to be told be was fine. It wasn't until he was completely unresponsive that anyone listened. CPS eventually indicated us for child abuse yet never pursued the babysitter who's first question was 'Do I need a lawyer' and subsequently failed a polygraph. I try to focus on how blessed we are to have such a strong beautiful boy but the entire event has left emotional scars that have changed who I am forever.

Quoting hope4rockell:

Thank you!

Quoting Libertyinlight:

I am a nurse and infant care giver and educator. Earplugs, Earplugs, Earplugs!!! U are not a bad person or parent if u need to wear earplugs from time to time. You are a smart parent! It doesn't matter how good of a person you are or how patient you are no one is above losing their cool. It just takes seconds to damage a child for life. Another way parents react is by throwing a child into their bassinet/ crib/ pack n play. I know a baby who I believe the parent did this very thing. Their story is that the parent accidentally dropped the baby. With my experience and knowledge I believe it was more than that. His skull was cracked open and multiple surgeries later he is still extremely collicky and is now starting to have seizures. Even up to two years old children can be dramatically harmed by shaking or throwing.

So important that every parent knows it can happen to anyone not just ignorant trailer trash. The people who think they would never do it or their partner wouldn't are more at risk. Please educate yourselves and partners. Men are more known to lose their temper and shake or throw. Both men and women don't know how strong they really are especially when overwhelmed and can create so much damage. Adrenalin is a powerful stress hormone and it pumps like crazy when a baby is screaming. After 3 days sleep deprivation with a collicky baby and nothing but stress hormones pumping everyone must be aware they can hit their limit. Also, we are in a time where so many parents feel the pressure that a baby should never cry. They must fix it ASAP. I don't believe in CIO however parents must know its ok and doesn't hurt their baby to set baby down in safe spot and take a break.

• hope4rockell
    March 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

great point :-)

Quoting jynne:

The babysitter didn't fit the typical profile either. White, married, educated. Maybe the world needs to stop believing that because you have a degree it's possible to still act like an idiot. CPS should anyway.

Quoting hope4rockell:

soooo, you wouldn't consider your babysitter to be "trailer trash" (an expression) after having done that to your son?

I'm just asking.

Side note: 1 million % agree that hospitals need to do a better job of screening for SBS when I an infant is brought in. Somehow it must become MANDATORY for a Brain scan / MRI be done when doing a work up on an infant

We took our granddaughter to the hospital when because she was barely breathing (the first time our EX son-in-law shook her), we had no idea it had happened but the hospital said "we don't see anything externally wrong but there is a small mark on her face (was a birthmark) so, we have to do a child welfare checkup for potential abuse ........ is that OK"? We were like, "yeah, absolutely its OK"

HAD THEY done an MRI they would have caught the bleeding ......... but nope, they did everything except check her brain. Said, well, she seems fine so you can take her home. Then, 3 days later, it happened again. That's when the actual childrens hospital jumped into action (they kind of had to) because she had stopped breathing by then

Quoting jynne:

I wish everyone (including doctors and nurses) knew you didn't have to be 'trailer trash' for this to happen to you. My son went to three different emergency rooms and a pediatrician over a 3 day period before he was finally diagnosed. Not fitting the 'profile' by being white, married, educated and both having full time jobs apparently made all the medical professionals we saw fail to recognize that this could still happen to us. I will never stop wondering if catching it three days sooner could have made any difference. When CPS got involved they didn't care that we had spend days taking him to doctor after doctor telling them that something was wrong with our baby only to be told be was fine. It wasn't until he was completely unresponsive that anyone listened. CPS eventually indicated us for child abuse yet never pursued the babysitter who's first question was 'Do I need a lawyer' and subsequently failed a polygraph. I try to focus on how blessed we are to have such a strong beautiful boy but the entire event has left emotional scars that have changed who I am forever.

Quoting hope4rockell:

Thank you!

Quoting Libertyinlight:

I am a nurse and infant care giver and educator. Earplugs, Earplugs, Earplugs!!! U are not a bad person or parent if u need to wear earplugs from time to time. You are a smart parent! It doesn't matter how good of a person you are or how patient you are no one is above losing their cool. It just takes seconds to damage a child for life. Another way parents react is by throwing a child into their bassinet/ crib/ pack n play. I know a baby who I believe the parent did this very thing. Their story is that the parent accidentally dropped the baby. With my experience and knowledge I believe it was more than that. His skull was cracked open and multiple surgeries later he is still extremely collicky and is now starting to have seizures. Even up to two years old children can be dramatically harmed by shaking or throwing.

So important that every parent knows it can happen to anyone not just ignorant trailer trash. The people who think they would never do it or their partner wouldn't are more at risk. Please educate yourselves and partners. Men are more known to lose their temper and shake or throw. Both men and women don't know how strong they really are especially when overwhelmed and can create so much damage. Adrenalin is a powerful stress hormone and it pumps like crazy when a baby is screaming. After 3 days sleep deprivation with a collicky baby and nothing but stress hormones pumping everyone must be aware they can hit their limit. Also, we are in a time where so many parents feel the pressure that a baby should never cry. They must fix it ASAP. I don't believe in CIO however parents must know its ok and doesn't hurt their baby to set baby down in safe spot and take a break.

• Anonymous 132
    by Anonymous 132
    March 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    Not my children, but now I'm almost 39 starting over raising my grandson that cries a lot and sometimes i do get really frustrated but have found the strength not to shake him even though i want to. But i don't feel so guilty any more after reading others fight this same feeling.
  • Jannet20
    March 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I remember when my brother was little, he was younger than 1, I was around 12. My mom was working my dad and my other sister where at home, my little brother wouldn't stop crying.... my dad set him down on his crib and left the apartment, me and my sister just looked at each other she was 9 at the time we did not know what to do I just tried calming him down. Although my dad without saying one word I learned from him to just put the baby down somewhere safe and step outside for a few minutes.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts