Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Dee0886
Senior dies, nurse refused to do CPR
by Dee0886
March 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM

There is no legal requirment for the nurse to have done CPR on this woman. Do you agree or disagree with the way this nurse handled this?

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/03/04/nurse-refuses-cpr-911-call

Replies

• KeriAZ
    by KeriAZ
    March 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    As a medical provider by law they have a duty to act within their scope of practice if they are on duty. Off duty its a moral thing. I read this and was sooooo pissed off. Why does the SNF have nurses if they are not allowed to do their job?! I hope they are sued out of business and criminal charges brought against the nurse and SNF. Shame on them.
  • Hannahluvsdogs
    March 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I saw this on the news this morning. I can't understand how she could sit there, knowing she could save the woman's life, and not do it.

• Dee0886
    by Dee0886
    March 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Exactly what I thought! Why have a nurse on staff if they wont do the simplest thing as doing CPR. They said it was because she hadn't completely stopped breathing yet so it would have been "tricky", I personally don't think I could stand there and watch a woman stop breathing before doing anything for her. I thought I was missing something because I'm not a nurse or dr. 

Quoting KeriAZ:

As a medical provider by law they have a duty to act within their scope of practice if they are on duty. Off duty its a moral thing. I read this and was sooooo pissed off. Why does the SNF have nurses if they are not allowed to do their job?! I hope they are sued out of business and criminal charges brought against the nurse and SNF. Shame on them.

• rebeccab1966
    March 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Quoting KeriAZ:

Question for you, if you know the answer--if a senior in a facility has a Do Not Resuscitate Order on file, does this apply?  My Dad is in a nursing home with end-stage Alzheimers and I don't even know if this would apply to him.  Thanks, if you have any info.

• joyfullem
    March 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM

they say it is company policy to not do CPR at a senior center? 

• TCain0001

I've heard of this before.  It's not necessarily the nurse, but it was (apparently) the policy of the nursing home to not do CPR .  It pissed me off too.........I'm going for my BS in Health Sciences, going for Med. Office Mgmt., and honestly, if I'd been there, I'd have told them to kiss my ass and done it anyway, policy be damned......let them sue me!  This is a human life we're talking about here.

Quoting KeriAZ:

• LizzieAnnesMom
    She had a dnr.
  • ColtsFan1912
    March 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Did she have a DNR? if so they were honoring that. I'll have to check the video out later but right now my computer is being a pain in the bum.

• fkh8ah
    by fkh8ah
    March 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    Why should the nurse have criminal charges brought against her? She was following policy.
    What if that was her only source of income and she had babies at home to feed and put shelter over? Ya it is sad that someone died...but if it comes down to my children or a stranger, i sound like a bitch, but i choose my children first.

Not to mention, she was still breathing when the EMT's arrived...alot of places have a policy about performing cpr if they are still breathing, since you can do more harm than good.

Quoting KeriAZ:

• LizzieAnnesMom
    March 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    What would be the point of cpr if she was still breathing. You only do compressions if there is no heartbeat, and mouth to mouth if they arent breahing.

Quoting fkh8ah:

Why should the nurse have criminal charges brought against her? She was following policy.

What if that was her only source of income and she had babies at home to feed and put shelter over? Ya it is sad that someone died...but if it comes down to my children or a stranger, i sound like a bitch, but i choose my children first.

Not to mention, she was still breathing when the EMT's arrived...alot of places have a policy about performing cpr if they are still breathing, since you can do more harm than good.

Quoting KeriAZ:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN