March 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Homemade
Or
Store box brand???

If homemade - what recipe do you use?

Replies

• betsyabel
    March 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Homemade usually.  I just do a basic white sauce with 4 tbsp butter, 4 tbsp flour, salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp dry mustard, 3 cups milk. Then I add whatever cheese I've got on hand to that (cheddar, swiss, etc). Stir that in to cooked mac noodles, top with ritz cracker crumbs mixed with a little melted butter. Then bake for about 20 minutes at 350.

• wineisfine
    March 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I make my own, and prefer that for sure. I make my own base cheese sauce with flour butter cream and spices, then I add a ton of different kind of cheese (american, gouda and jack usually)put it over the noodles obviously. Throw together and bake, it is awesome!

• Mama_Dolly
    March 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    Homemade. Baked. With sausage and veggies
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    March 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    Box crap since I don't have a recipe for homemade and too lazy to Google.
  • SilverOcean84
    March 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I love homemade! I make mine baked.

1 box of elbow macaroni

1 stick of butter

4-6 tablespoons of flour (or arrowroot)

6 cups of shredded cheese (I use a mix of Swiss, cheddar, asiago, and parmesan)

2 cups of cheddar cheese for the top

4 cups milk

breadcrumbs (optional)

9x13 pan

Heat oven 375 degrees and grease pan (I prefer butter for this)

While noodles are boiling melt butter in a sauce pan. Once butter is fully melted add flour and stir. Slowly add the milk to the roux. Once the lumps are gone start to slowly add cheese (add a handful or 2 at a time and stir frequently). Once the sauce is starting to get thick put it aside. Take your pan and place the first layer of noodles down then ladle the cheese sauce over it (add salt if desired) repeat this until no more noodles and sauce remain. The very top place the extra cheddar and breadcrumbs. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30 mins then remove tinfoil and bake an additional 10 mins or until desired amount of brown is reached.

• NorthStar09
    March 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Homemade. I don't use a recipe exactly, I cook on instinct.

I do use a cream base though. 1 - 1 1/2 lb of pasta (macaroni or cellentani), 2 cups heavy cream, 2 - 2 1/2 cups whole milk.

I use cheeses based on what I have. Generally I use one soft-solid cheese (fontina, mozzerella), one hard cheese (parmesan, romano), one jack cheese, and one cheddar cheese. From most to least, I use the most soft-solid (about 2 cups), then the jack (about 1 cup), then cheddar (maybe 3/4 cup), then the hard cheese (about 1/2 cup).

Combine the cheeses, reserve about 1/3 of the whole mixture in a smaller bowl for later. Cook pasta to al dente, drain it off and return to pot. Combine cream, milk, a bit of salt and pepper, and 1 tsp cayenne pepper. Whisk all together and add 2 tbs flour, then whisk to combine and thicken. Add larger bowl of cheese in, mix. Pour cream mix over the cooled pasta, mix to combine.

Butter a large baking dish (or use pam, either way, jsut make sure you grease it), spread pasta and cream/chees mixture in, and sprinkle remaining 1/3 of cheese on top. I just eyeball this proportion, so you may want to grate more on top if it doesn't thinly cover the whole dish.

Cook 20-25 mins at 450F, then when it's done, turn oven off and turn broiler on high until the top is darker and crispy.

Obviously this is not an everyday recipe, it's VERY rich! I make it for barbecues and block parties, or as a side of a meal, then cut up the rest and freeze in small squares.

• nataliesmom2012
    March 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I owe my life to whoever invented Velveeta shells and cheese. That shit was sent down from God himself.

• Lizardannie1966
    March 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM

For homemade, we use a traditional method with regular macaroni (or Penne), extra sharp cheddar cheese and simple milk. I add bread crumbs on the top as I bake it.

But every once in a while, a good ol' box of Kraft mac and cheese with some Tabasco on top tastes good, too!

• MrsCountryMama
    March 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    Homeade I cook up the shells put in a casserole dish shred up cheddar and colby cheese mix with butter garlic n onion seasoning and a splash of milk then pour it in the casserole dish mix it all up and bake on 350° until melted. Yummy
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    March 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    Great recipe!!

Thanks

Quoting SilverOcean84:

I love homemade! I make mine baked.

1 box of elbow macaroni

1 stick of butter

4-6 tablespoons of flour (or arrowroot)

6 cups of shredded cheese (I use a mix of Swiss, cheddar, asiago, and parmesan)

2 cups of cheddar cheese for the top

4 cups milk

breadcrumbs (optional)

9x13 pan

Heat oven 375 degrees and grease pan (I prefer butter for this)

While noodles are boiling melt butter in a sauce pan. Once butter is fully melted add flour and stir. Slowly add the milk to the roux. Once the lumps are gone start to slowly add cheese (add a handful or 2 at a time and stir frequently). Once the sauce is starting to get thick put it aside. Take your pan and place the first layer of noodles down then ladle the cheese sauce over it (add salt if desired) repeat this until no more noodles and sauce remain. The very top place the extra cheddar and breadcrumbs. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30 mins then remove tinfoil and bake an additional 10 mins or until desired amount of brown is reached.

Mom Confessions