Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
fraujones
I was a weird homeschooled kid. Ask me anything.
February 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    February 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

The homeschooled kids I knew growing up weren't, and still aren't, weird. They played on our sports teams. Just bc you don't go to the school, if you live in the district you can participate in any after school activity or sport. At least here you can.

I'm sure there are weird ones though!

I remember the homeschooled kids who would play sports. They were still really awkward because all the other kids had their regular friends who they were really close with from school.

I feel like all that time with an older person, without constant influence from peers, makes them more like the older person than a kid. Like, they always thought things were funny that weren't, or they would correct people, or talk about things that were really off, and they were always oddly close to their mothers, like Mom was the coolest person ever. lol. It's totally different to have 3 recesses a day with your friends and peers, plus PE and other extras, and have in-class discussions where you hear the opinions of everyone your age... then to have all day alone with your Mom and soccer once a week, kwim?

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    February 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I was a weird public-schooled kid. Do I get a cookie?

• fraujones
    February 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I am less socially awkward as an adult, though I'm noticeably different, I think. I do have other anxiety issues that I don't blame on being homeschooled. 

Quoting StrangeDays:

I was homeschooled from 7th grade to graduation.. so I did establish friends.. but somewhere along the line, I became very socially awkward. That didn't start until I became an adult, though, so I can't blame it on being homeschooled.

• BabyGsMommy11
    February 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    I agree w all that you have said. Maybe I didn't think they were weird bc I'm weird! Lol

Now... There's a church in our district that has a homeschooling program. There's a group of mothers who homeschool all the kids from the church. Two of them are degreed teachers so they can school children other than their own. We have all grown up calling it Calvary Cult Academy. Those kids... They take the cake on weird.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

The homeschooled kids I knew growing up weren't, and still aren't, weird. They played on our sports teams. Just bc you don't go to the school, if you live in the district you can participate in any after school activity or sport. At least here you can.

I remember the homeschooled kids who would play sports. They were still really awkward because all the other kids had their regular friends who they were really close with from school.

I feel like all that time with an older person, without constant influence from peers, makes them more like the older person than a kid. Like, they always thought things were funny that weren't, or they would correct people, or talk about things that were really off, and they were always oddly close to their mothers, like Mom was the coolest person ever. lol. It's totally different to have 3 recesses a day with your friends and peers, plus PE and other extras, and have in-class discussions where you hear the opinions of everyone your age... then to have all day alone with your Mom and soccer once a week, kwim?

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    February 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

I agree w all that you have said. Maybe I didn't think they were weird bc I'm weird! Lol

Now... There's a church in our district that has a homeschooling program. There's a group of mothers who homeschool all the kids from the church. Two of them are degreed teachers so they can school children other than their own. We have all grown up calling it Calvary Cult Academy. Those kids... They take the cake on weird.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

I'm a bit weird myself, nothing to be ashamed of. lol

I was reading what you wrote about the church thinking "oh man, I hope she doesn't think the church homeschool is a good idea..."  It came off as a cult in the first few words. haha

• fraujones
    February 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM

There is a homeschool "academy" like this in my area as well. I know some of the families. They believe their kids are very well socialized, but the kids are actually very isolated from those who have different beliefs than their own. 

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

• fraujones
    February 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

BUMP!

• Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    February 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM

What was your parent's reason for home schooling? Do you home school your kids? If not, what do you think of parents that home school now?

• StrangeDays
    February 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    I'm a very eccentric person, and once I become comfortable with certain people, or the environment in general, I let it out. I've always been quirky and awkward, but it really never affected me until I got pregnant. I'm thinking something went haywire with my hormones and I never leveled off, so now I'm a bit of a recluse.

Even though I know it had nothing to do with being homeschooled, I'm a little scared of keeping my kids home, assuming they'd end up like me.

Quoting fraujones:

I am less socially awkward as an adult, though I'm noticeably different, I think. I do have other anxiety issues that I don't blame on being homeschooled. 

Quoting StrangeDays:

I was homeschooled from 7th grade to graduation.. so I did establish friends.. but somewhere along the line, I became very socially awkward. That didn't start until I became an adult, though, so I can't blame it on being homeschooled.

• fraujones
    February 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

What was your parent's reason for home schooling? Do you home school your kids? If not, what do you think of parents that home school now?

My parents began homeschooling us for religious reasons. It was very popular in our church. Part of the "train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." They did have other reasons. We were very low income and saved money by homeschooling. They also liked having their kids at home. 

I send my daughter to public school. I would consider a Montessori school if we had one in the area, but homeschooling would be a last resort. My daughter is a lot like me: shy and sensitive. The socialization in public school benefits her so far. She has made some good friendships and has come out of her shell a bit.

I think that some parents homeschool for good reasons and some do not. Protecting your kid from "worldly" kids with different belief systems is not a good reason to homeschool. I also think parents should consider their own level of education and ability to teach. (You can be very intelligent, but have a hard time conveying that knowledge). If you can't teach a subject, hire a tutor! Cyber schooling also seems like a good idea. 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN