Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
I think homeschooled parents should get
by Anonymous
February 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM
The amount of money that their district spends per student in their district in the form of an annual check. I know our school district spends around 20k per student. That could buy a lot of educational books and educational trips. Imagine you are learning about govt and you take a trip to Washington DC or Jamestown, battlefields, presidential homes. The list is endless. You could learn art history and actually see the paintings. Of course you would have to submit all receipts so shady parents couldn't use it to buy smokes and pay bills with school money. Just my opinion but I think it's a great idea!

Replies

• matofour
    February 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    Why shouldn't it be equal?

Fact is schools spend more money on certain kids.

So how would they asses what would be paid out for homeschooling?

And I don't consider taking trips to see paintings something that HAS to be done.

We travel a lot, I know the benefits of travel. I would never pretend the government should pay for our vacations because we do educational things on our trips.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why shouldn't it be equal per child?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM

No,  just no!

• ElitestJen

Quoting Anonymous:

I pay taxes. I should decide how they are spent where my child is concerned. And when I say I pay taxes, I pay IN!

Yeah, I get that.  But the government doesn't hand out free money.  There's ALWAYS strings attached.

You can decide how those dollars are spent via voting. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    You think a box of supplies and a laptop equal what the school district pays for students? I have homeschooled my youngest and I know what it's about b

Quoting SunshineBird:

My sister home schools and they provide a TON of supplies to assist including a laptop per child (needs to be returned at the end of the school year). I think it evens out.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    You think a box of supplies and a laptop equal what the school district pays for students? I have homeschooled my youngest and I know what it's about.

Quoting SunshineBird:

My sister home schools and they provide a TON of supplies to assist including a laptop per child (needs to be returned at the end of the school year). I think it evens out.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    Unfortunately you would have people abuse this. Take their kids out of school to get the money. There are ways to cheat and get around the receipts issue. After the money was gone they'd want their kids back in school
  • almondpigeon

I homeschool & when we first started, I really was amazed when I found out that our "school" stuff wasn't tax deductible.  Obviously, we wouldn't try to write off pens & paper, but I really thought the curriculum would be.  

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    I disagree, you choose to homeschool knowing you have to provide the materials, it really pisses me off when people say "why should my taxes pay for the schools when i teach my kids"
    well why are those who never have kids paying for them? or those that kids are no longer still in.school why arw they paying for them? simple bc thats how it works, with the education system how it is they need the money.

oh and the schools get funding PER kid so if your kid isnt there they arent getting funding for them amd esswntially your taxes are paying foe other things
  • AliKatAK47
    What in the hell... no.

Why should someone with no education be getting damn near the same salary as someone with a masters degree in education. If I can get that much money sitting my kids at the dining room table with a book and for a few hours and then playing with them then they would never go to school. I don't think any other kids would go to school either. Then what would be the point of real teachers.
  • MamaRae85

This is also a great point.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No. As a former homeschooling parent I think that is a terrible idea. Homeschoolers have been fighting against it since it was mentioned. Once the government starts to give homeschoolers money, they will attach all sorts of new rules and laws to go with it. No thank you!!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts