Mom Confessions

Anonymous
when someone tells me they homeschool, I automatically feel bad for the kid.....
by Anonymous
February 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I'm sure there are specific cases which are an exception....but all the adults I've ever met that were homeschooled as a child have been weird as hell. I don't know if it's a trend or not...but I sure as hell am not going to do that to my kid!

Replies

• LivysMama
    February 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM

A lot of people do. I love telling acquaintances that I was home schooled and seeing the shocked looks on their faces. Some have even said, "But you're so normal!" Lol What a shock that a normal person is going to be normal no matter where they went to school.

• aikimomof3

I agree

My half-brother was homeschooled by my stepmother, and he's so socially awkward it's unbelievable.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    We need weird people. I'd rather my child be weird than a conformist.
  • elliotmommytobe
    February 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    How many kids?

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

Not true, my BFF home schools her 5 kids and they do way more than my children. They are part of the homeschool coop, which offers them music lessons, sports, holiday parties, park days, swimming lessons, field trips  ect. All done by the other parents.

They are doing something at least 3 days a week with the kids. That alone makes me wish I homeschool, seems so fun!

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

They dont get as much socialization as children who attend public school

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I agree. Sadly any home school child/adult i have ever met was so socially akward it was weird. I know not ALL home school children are like that but i find it sad for those that are. 

• stargazerwolf
    February 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Obviously you just met weird people, but I know a lot of people who went to public school that were weird. Someone who is properly homeschooling will have their children in activities to interact with kids of all ages. I am looking into homeschooling though me and my boyfriend are deciding if it is right or not for our situation. And whether you have a degree or not doesn't change how you homeschool. That is what educational resources are for, books, internet, other people if need be. After all most teachers do everything straight from a book. Most homeschooled kids get to do far more things than public schooled kids, more field trips, outdoor trips, and other educational trips etc. Often they excel at everything, even higher than many public school kids because the parents learn how their child learns and can teach them in ways that work with it rather the one set way public schools do it.

• KristenFowles
    February 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Depends on how the parent homeschools..

I went to public school through 7th grade.  I was bored in school, and the environment wasn't always my cup of tea.  I was shy, closed, and it just wasn't my place..

In 8th grade I told my mother I wanted to be homeschooled.. So that's what we did, and I never looked back.  We were in a ton of different groups with other homeschoolers.. I socialized a ton more.. I came out of my shell.. I was able to focus on things that *I* was super interested in and I was able to do my curriculum at my pace.. I became a much kinder, happier child. 

I do not homeschool my children, not because I didn't have an amazing experience.. But because I am not my mother, nor am I as financially wealthy. 

But my experience was amazing - And I was/am anything but socially weird.. Of course I have my quirks, but who doesn't? ;)

• LivysMama

Maybe some kids don't, but the home school group I was in was very social. In high school I had a full calendar of activities. Classes that I took outside the home, bowling, home ec, Key Club, student council...it was just like public school in most ways.

I honestly feel that the socialization is better for home schoolers because we socialize with people of all age groups. Public school is limiting in that you are in a room with kids your own age all through school (with the obvious exceptions). That will never happen again in life.

Not bashing public school...just a point to consider :)

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

They dont get as much socialization as children who attend public school

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I used to also, but now I'm actually homeschooling lol. I never thought I would do this, but homeschooling my kids is the best parenting choice we have made. I'm going to tell you a little about our schedule, because I too had no idea what social opportunities there are.

My 8 year old does academics with me 5 days a week.

Tuesdays and Thursdays for 2 hours he attends a French language and culture class through our coop. It is with 10 other kids, ages 6-10. They spend time working on language, eating French food, and learning about their culture. He has been going there for 2 months now and knows a good amount of French.

Wednesdays he has PE class for an hour with other homeschool kids. Every other Wednesday he has a group art class as well. The art class is fantastic, it's really in depth and the teacher is very creative.

Every other Friday he has a field trip with the kids from our coop. The coop in total has about 60ish kids, and anywhere from 10-30 attend a field trip. We attend almost all of them. He LOVES these and has lots of fun.

Once this French session is over he will be starting a music class with the other homeschool kids.

He really absorbs all of his academics, and most of the learning is hands on and real life experiences. He loves engineering, so he has his own blog about it. He builds and creates different things and posts all about it with pictures. He has a few followers, mostly family, but he is so creative with it! Last week he took apart random old electronics and built a new flashlight. One of his projects was a report on that, which he put in his blog.

Nothing to feel bad about here! :)
  • HollyBoBolly
    February 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I know several homeschool families.  They aren't weird....because afterall who determines what is weird.  MOST of the children I know are pretty intelligent.  ALL of the ones that I know are religious, so they rarely socialize outside of their church.  I only knew one of them because I worked with their dad.  I can say that they are awfully naive, some were scared of their own shadow.  Which I guess is fine, if you plan to live in a bubble.

This is only my experience and I am sure that this is not an absolute. 

Mom Confessions