Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
what can you do about messed up teeth? help please!
by Anonymous
February 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I know some people are gonna bash but I need help. My teeth are horrible and ruined. I've had probably 8 pulled already and at least six more that need to be pulled. Luckily they have been in the back of my mouth...until now :(. My two front teeth have been getting worse and worse and this morning one broke completely in half.....so now there's a half tooth and a huge gap in between. I am so embarrassed. And before anyone says anything, I took care of my teeth my entire life. Never had a cavity at all until I was 18 but then I got pregnant with mt first child, and they have went to shit since then and the Dr says its because my body was lacking so many vitamins. Now four kids later, they are really bad and I can't smile at all and never take pics with my kids.
We don't have a ton of money so what is something I can do for my teeth? I really don't want to pull them all and get dentures. I've heard about the teeth that they screw in or something, how much would that be? Is there any other alternative to getting my teeth fixed?

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    February 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM

You could probably save what is left by having root canals and caps, but that is costly.  You could have implants, which would require a visit to the cosmetic dentist that performs implants.

Other than that, your only option is false teeth.  I'd go the implant route since they can do your whole mouth in a day.

• momof2boy2girl
    February 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Implants are expensive. I've had similar issues with my front teeth. My ex shattered my front teeth and I finally got them fixed this year. Our dental plan is only $14 a month and it was only about $250 out of pocket. Tor now, I have temporary tooth colored fillings (you can see up close where the old damage was) it took nearly four hours for him to reconstruct my front teeth, next year I will be getting crowns up front. I know how you feel and i am very sorry if anyone bashes you. I have gone so long with messed up front teeth that I still can not smile. It just doesn't feel right. Good luck. Try to find a dental plan. We have BlueCross and Blueshield through dh's work.

• tossed
    by tossed
    February 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Dental implants, the teeth screwed into bone, are extremely expensive. If you don't have dental insurance, you can get a private policy for yourself for less than $20 a month. There is usually a yearly cap on coverage to about $1500-$2000, so it won't cover a lot. You can check and see if there is  a college of dentistry in your area or within driving distance. They take patients and assign them to senior students for a reduced rate. I don't know where you are, but I have looked into Baylor College of Dentistry for this. If you have a few good teeth, you might consider partial dentures as opposed to full dentures. Good luck. I am in the same boat...low calcium levels, lupus, osteoporosis. I have 8 or 9 broken teeth and my teeth just shatter. I am going to start having one pulled a month and then go for dentures. 

• Miss_Sheila
    February 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    im 22 and have 7 teeth that need to b pulled and 3 of those replaced and bout 13 cavities. im looking to go to the dentist with income tax
  • tossed
    by tossed
    February 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM

But, a mouthful of implants and veneers is from $20-50,000 on how extensive the treatment plan. That is just out of reach for most people.

Quoting Anonymous:

You could probably save what is left by having root canals and caps, but that is costly.  You could have implants, which would require a visit to the cosmetic dentist that performs implants.

Other than that, your only option is false teeth.  I'd go the implant route since they can do your whole mouth in a day.

• JDmommyJD
    February 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    Dental implants will cost you about $3000 per tooth, in the end. You could go the denture route, which is cheapest. Another option is a fixed partial, or bridge. Fake teeth, fixed in place....but not implanted. The bridge will run you around 3000 as well, but unlike an implant, its for all the top teeth...not one.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    February 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    So do you have to do your whole mouth or can you just do like 16 ? So then it'll just b eight on top and eight on bottom...and how much would you say that cost with getting the teeth pulled too?

Quoting Anonymous:

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    February 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM

My husband looked into getting 6 implants and 4 root canals with crowns. It was $27,000!!!!  He went with a partial for just $1500, no one besides the 2 of us and our dentist know about the partial. The kids don't even know! 

• almondpigeon

my county has a dentistry department at the county health department.  call your local health department & see if they have something similar.  

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    Could you have that done to the bottom ones too or only the top? And do they stay In place or can they come out? I just hate the idea of being 25 and my teeth being able to come out lol.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Dental implants will cost you about $3000 per tooth, in the end. You could go the denture route, which is cheapest. Another option is a fixed partial, or bridge. Fake teeth, fixed in place....but not implanted. The bridge will run you around 3000 as well, but unlike an implant, its for all the top teeth...not one.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts