Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Elderly People Make Me Uncomfortable. You?
by Anonymous
February 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Hi Ladies,

I've been doing a lot of volunteer work lately with a person who works in the field I am hoping to go into. In this field you can work with a variety of ages and lately I have seen my mentor working with elderly patients ages 60-92.

I don't have anything against old people, but I am very uncomfortable watching these patients. I have seen people who have barely entered retirement with all sorts of medical problems. I've seen patients who have had strokes who cannot speak but a few words. I have seen patients with swallowing problems, Parkinsons...the list goes on.

All I can think about is ...is this what I have to look forward to? Will I save for retirement only to suffer with medical problems. Most of these patients that I have seen were perfectly healthy until they started having problems, strokes...ect..

It's so scary. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Replies

• kmorales7690
    February 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM
    I love old people! They ha some awesome stories
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    February 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM
    I'm terrified of special needs children. When they scream and stuff, I don't know if it's rude to ignore them, or to look. I don't know how to talk to them or what they understand. In so uncomfortable around them and I hate it.
  • littlesippycup
    February 14, 2013 at 12:44 AM

It's natural to fear getting older especially since you're so connected to the reality of it. I always just think about how I'm making way for my kids and their kids and so forth. That makes it seem brighter and I'm completely willing to do that gracefully.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    February 14, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I'm the OP

While doing volunteer work with my mentor I have spent a few hours watching her work with children, some of whom were special needs. At first I felt VERY uncomfortable and out of place. However, after a little while I sort of got used to it and was able to feel less uncomfortable around them.

It's the old ppl that really get to me! I really have to fight back watering eyes when I watch my mentor work with these people. Here she is trying to help these patients live just 10 years more!!

When I go into this field I am seriously just going to have to work with newborns! LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm terrified of special needs children. When they scream and stuff, I don't know if it's rude to ignore them, or to look. I don't know how to talk to them or what they understand. In so uncomfortable around them and I hate it.

• TranquilMind
    February 14, 2013 at 12:47 AM

No!  I love old people.  They have so much wisdom and so many stories.  Also, no matter how old you are, you are always young and cute to them! 

All I can say is to take care of yourself.  The piper is paid after decades of bodily abuse by bad habits, drinking, smoking, fake chemical foods, no exercise, etc.  You just have to do the best you can to live a healthy life and pray a lot! 

Anyone watching Betty White's show Off Their Rockers?  It's hilarious. 

• Daylightdies
    February 14, 2013 at 12:48 AM
    No you are not I feel bad for them I work in a pharmacy and I get plenty of old ppl
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    February 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I'm the OP.

I think part of what frightens me about being around old people is .. I think about my future with my SO. He is 9 years older than me. He is not big into exercise, is currently overweight, and he will drink alcohol on occasion. I already know that I will out-live him, but it is SO SCARY to think about myself and my SO as I watch these people who JUST entered retirement and are already losing their minds/ health.

Quoting TranquilMind:

No!  I love old people.  They have so much wisdom and so many stories.  Also, no matter how old you are, you are always young and cute to them! 

All I can say is to take care of yourself.  The piper is paid after decades of bodily abuse by bad habits, drinking, smoking, fake chemical foods, no exercise, etc.  You just have to do the best you can to live a healthy life and pray a lot! 

• wkukid
    by wkukid
    February 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I think the concept of aging and things going wrong kinda upsets everyone to a point. I do like older people though.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    February 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM
    Same here. I try to avoid them unless they need help with something. It's not them personally,just...the concept I guess.
  • TranquilMind
    February 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM

It is scary.  I've recently returned to the gym and am working out hard. There is such a vast difference between those who do and those who don't.  People of the same age can look and function as if they are 25 years apart. 

You'd better whip that man into shape.  It comes back very quickly when you get started. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm the OP.

I think part of what frightens me about being around old people is .. I think about my future with my SO. He is 9 years older than me. He is not big into exercise, is currently overweight, and he will drink alcohol on occasion. I already know that I will out-live him, but it is SO SCARY to think about myself and my SO as I watch these people who JUST entered retirement and are already losing their minds/ health.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts