Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Dog vs Child
by Anonymous
February 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Scenario:

You've had a dog for 6 years. The dog is sweet and lovable unless in a social situation and it becomes aggressive. To the point your vet says the dog needs an anti anxiety pill.

You become pregnant and bring the baby home. Dog is very unhappy. The dog growls at the baby. Always.

Baby is now mobile and the dog still is vicious towards the child. To the point you separate the baby from the dog just incase.. Baby begins walking. Baby falls into dog. Dog snaps at child.

My question is what is your next move? This isn't pit bull related. This is happening with my friend and I told her she needs to get rid of the dog. I'm now Satan. It' bee nover s year and if anything the dog is more aggressive now than a year ago. What is she going to do if that dog really gets a hold of her child?? I just think its a bad idea. They have 2 dogs. The other dog loves their child and will growl at the other dog almost protecting the baby.

Replies

• Jessy613
    February 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I'd get rid of the dog. 

• FoxFire363
    February 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    The dog would have been gone.
  • MrsDavidB25
    February 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Dog is gone.

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    February 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM

In the normal world you get rid of the dog,  in CM land you get rid of the kid!

• Cmgmqmmom
    February 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I don't believe in re-homing animals usually, but in this case, it seems like it would be best for everyone. If they have tried whatever they could to lessen the aggression and it's still an issue, I don't see how they would have any other choice. Their child could be in serious danger.

• olliesmommy2
    February 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    I'm a dog person, but if I felt my child was in danger, I'd remove the dog.
  • CrimsonRose01
    February 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    We love our dogs, but if they ever showed any aggression towards our children, they would be gone. I won't risk my childs safety for an animal.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    February 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM

If she won't get rid of the dog, there is a "de fanging " process which blunts 4 of the dogs teeth so it can NOT bite. It can still bruise if it wanted too, but the process flattens the biting teeth so they won't go thru flesh.

An owner whose bite-happy dog couldn’t be rehabilitated by the Dog Whisperer writes about turning to “canine disarming” in the Los Angeles Times.

The procedure involves cutting away 4 millimeters off each of the dog’s four canines, using a laser, and smoothing the ends over. The same is done to the dog’s extra set of pointy incisors.

Vicious dogDr. Gail Golab, head of the American Veterinary Medical Assn., says that disarming dogs was once fairly common, but that it fell out of favor several years ago as behavioral modification techniques improved. The association is opposed to either tooth removal or disarming, primarily on the grounds that neither addresses the underlying cause of aggression and may lull owners into a false confidence that the animal can no longer inflict injury.

The American Veterinary Dental College agrees that disarming is controversial, but in a position statement adopted in 2005 it endorsed the procedure in “selected cases.”

It cost Diane R. Krieger, owner of Cotton, a 6-year-old American Eskimo, $1,600 to have the procedure done, but she considered it a better option than defanging (complete removal of the canines), euthanasia, or even giving up the dog — no shelter would take it because of its history.

Advocates say the biggest effect of canine disarming is psychological, that the dog realizes its main weapons are gone, leading to a dose of humility and submission.

As for Cotton, he seems to be in denial. When he gets the opportunity, he still pounces at any man who ventures onto our property. A few days after the disarming, our gardener Guadalupe Davila obligingly offered his booted foot for Cotton’s delectation. After 30 seconds of ferocious gnawing, Cotton had only succeeded in lightly scoring the thick leather.

• romalove
    February 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Bye dog!

• FooLynRoo
    February 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I would have began training the agression out of the dog at its first sign,

but say for some reason none of that worked, I would seek a home for the dog, even if I had to foot its expenses.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN