Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
thinking of holding my son back
by Anonymous
February 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM
in school. currently he is seven and in first grade. I've been having problems with him. like Thursday he had homework in question form. he is asked to sound each letter out to attempt in blending them to hear the word. number was the word. granted its a bigger word however I ask him to sound it out. he did every letter correctly. then claimed he read the word tree. I then asked him to point out where the t wad. he pointed to the b. he just doesn't get it. then I got the reading fluency paper today. at this point in the year, he is expected to be reading 35-40 words per minute. My son is reading 27. at the end of the year he should be reading 60 words per minute. honestly at this point out is an unrealistic goal for him to set with less than 90 days of school. so I talked to his teacher, counselor and principal and they agree with me. what would you do

Replies

• Kylie819
    February 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM
    I wouldn't make that kind of decision when there are still another 3-4 months of school left. Get him some tutoring and extra practice, then reevaluate in a few months.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    February 13, 2013 at 12:03 AM
    I've tried tutoring at school. My town doesn't have any tutoring programs at all. like Sylvain ( I think that's how it'spelled) and the next town that has it is two and a half hours away

Quoting Kylie819:

I wouldn't make that kind of decision when there are still another 3-4 months of school left. Get him some tutoring and extra practice, then reevaluate in a few months.

• Lorelai_Nicole
    February 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM
    Do you know any older kids, maybe neighbors, who would be willing to tutor him?
  • Pnukey
    by Pnukey
    February 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Have you put him on www.starfall.com? It's a great site to build early reading skills. It's free and easy. I put both of my kids on that in kindergarten and they're good readers.

• KrissyKC
    February 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM

We enjoy homeschooling and theres no specifics on when they have to learn what or failing them...   they learn at their pace... as long as there is progress.  it's so relaxed and stress free for them.

• Anonymous
    February 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM
    No one that I know of. I have a nine year old dd who tries to help him but he doesn't want her "bossing" him around lol. She sincerely tries. I also try to make learning fun with games like hop scotch on sight words, I put them on the wall on index cards and he shoots the word with his nerf gun. we also spell with him every night and use snacks to create letters.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Do you know any older kids, maybe neighbors, who would be willing to tutor him?

• Anonymous
    February 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM
    I don't have internet right now at home. My computer decided to die lol. but will be getting a new one in a couple of weeks. I only have internet on my phone. I wonder if I can access starfall on my phone

Quoting Pnukey:

Have you put him on www.starfall.com? It's a great site to build early reading skills. It's free and easy. I put both of my kids on that in kindergarten and they're good readers.

• Anonymous
    February 13, 2013 at 12:45 AM
    homeschooling isn't an option for me. I honestly have no desire to add elementary school teacher to the three thousand jobs I have now. plus my husband would 40+ hours a week, I attend college full time, work part time and coach.....his baseball team.

Quoting KrissyKC:

We enjoy homeschooling and theres no specifics on when they have to learn what or failing them...   they learn at their pace... as long as there is progress.  it's so relaxed and stress free for them.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 13, 2013 at 12:50 AM
    I know how you feel! My son is also 7 and in 1st grade he isn't so much behind. But he's having trouble focusing and staying on task :( makes me sad. His teacher and I are what seems like in constant communication and she suggest I get him tested for ADHD (of course). My aunt is a teacher and so were my grandparents and they think he's bored but idk... It's so hard!! I don't want him falling behind and he isn't as if now but I need to figure out something to help him. As a nurse I'd rather not put him on meds. I'm just honesty lost Good luck to you!! :)
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 13, 2013 at 12:52 AM
    Don't so it! From personal experience it's not a good idea. We came to America when I was in my teen years my mom held me back a year bc she afraid that I would not be able to catch ip on the work 7 and 8 are pretty much the same.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts