Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
depressed but scared to see the doctor.
by Anonymous
February 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I am very depress and know I need to see my doctor but I am scared to go.

Replies

• MixedCooke
    February 13, 2013 at 2:38 AM

St Johns Wort helps with mild depression and anxiety so it will at least help ease some of it to give you a chance to see the doctor or maybe resolve the issue so you dont have to see the doctor at all.  Relora helps block the stress hormone, cortisol, which may also help you.  both of which are over the counter and herbal remedies.

• LADYxGHOST
    February 13, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Is this new or has been going on for awhile now? Any recent loss, like death, change in finacial situation, job loss or change, seperation, divorce? recently given birth or miscarried or abortion?  If this has been going on for awhile and you answered yes, you need to see a doctor.  If it has only been a couple of days or weeks then, take it easy, relax if you can, pamper yourself the best you can. If this doesn't help, see a dr or Licences Clinicle Social Worker.  Meds are not always the answer but getting a person to talk to and assess the degree of your depression is needed.  Depression left untreated can become life threatening and put you and your children at risk. it also can become a life-long cronic condition.  Most people with mild depression do not need medication, some theraputic coping skills and talk therapy do the trick in about 3 months. Medication can help, but not nessassary.  Major Depression may take a bit longer and medication is usually involved.  If you attend a church see if they offer counceling, many do.  I have Major Depression with a few other conditions, I HATE going to the doctor. I dreed the day before, the drive there.  I am afraid they will say I need to be in a hospital or I shouldnt be a mom or judge me and say I have no reason to be sad anymore.  If you are afraid of these and do nto want them to hurt you with whatever they find out, find a clinic that has a LCSW and set up an appointment.  Give a false name and address and pay in cash.  You can talk to the councelor and find out what they have to say.  If you are depressed you need help and letting fear stop you only hurts you and your kids in the long run.  Start out with baby steps, find a dr or clinic, call clinic to set up appointment, prep yourself for appointment by going over what you want to discuss like why you say you are depressed and what you want to change, drive to the clinic or office before you appointment to get a feel for it, find a nice cafe or resturant nearby.  On day of appointment go to cafe or returant and have a nice quite cup of coffee or tea or soda and a pastery or muffin or desert.  Take deap slow breaths and then go to your appoint (rememebr to arrive early to fill out the paperwork) and do see the councelor.  It isnt as bad as it seems. I have agoraphobia and so i know how difficult things can be.  But this is something that can be done and when I think of my kids i can do way more than when I think of myself. having a depressed mom is not good for them. With that thought in mind I attend all my appointments and take my medication.  You can do this.

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    February 13, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Why are you scared?  Are you scared of having to take meds for it?  Some people do very well with seeing a therapist or counselor.  Sometimes diet and exercise changes can help.  Personally I felt a lot better after I started taking magnesium supplements.  And stay away from anything with st. john's wart in it.  It can make major depression worse and it can interact negatively with certain medicines.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    February 13, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    Its been going on for awhile.

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

Is this new or has been going on for awhile now? Any recent loss, like death, change in finacial situation, job loss or change, seperation, divorce? recently given birth or miscarried or abortion?  If this has been going on for awhile and you answered yes, you need to see a doctor.  If it has only been a couple of days or weeks then, take it easy, relax if you can, pamper yourself the best you can. If this doesn't help, see a dr or Licences Clinicle Social Worker.  Meds are not always the answer but getting a person to talk to and assess the degree of your depression is needed.  Depression left untreated can become life threatening and put you and your children at risk. it also can become a life-long cronic condition.  Most people with mild depression do not need medication, some theraputic coping skills and talk therapy do the trick in about 3 months. Medication can help, but not nessassary.  Major Depression may take a bit longer and medication is usually involved.  If you attend a church see if they offer counceling, many do.  I have Major Depression with a few other conditions, I HATE going to the doctor. I dreed the day before, the drive there.  I am afraid they will say I need to be in a hospital or I shouldnt be a mom or judge me and say I have no reason to be sad anymore.  If you are afraid of these and do nto want them to hurt you with whatever they find out, find a clinic that has a LCSW and set up an appointment.  Give a false name and address and pay in cash.  You can talk to the councelor and find out what they have to say.  If you are depressed you need help and letting fear stop you only hurts you and your kids in the long run.  Start out with baby steps, find a dr or clinic, call clinic to set up appointment, prep yourself for appointment by going over what you want to discuss like why you say you are depressed and what you want to change, drive to the clinic or office before you appointment to get a feel for it, find a nice cafe or resturant nearby.  On day of appointment go to cafe or returant and have a nice quite cup of coffee or tea or soda and a pastery or muffin or desert.  Take deap slow breaths and then go to your appoint (rememebr to arrive early to fill out the paperwork) and do see the councelor.  It isnt as bad as it seems. I have agoraphobia and so i know how difficult things can be.  But this is something that can be done and when I think of my kids i can do way more than when I think of myself. having a depressed mom is not good for them. With that thought in mind I attend all my appointments and take my medication.  You can do this.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    February 13, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    What's your fear?
  • notjstasocermom
    February 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM

why?

• Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    February 13, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    I was the same way. Put it off for 8 months. I could feel it getting worse. My husband made the appt. it's been 3 weeks since I went. I feel better. Yes, I'm medicated, but I'm ME again. Don't be scared.
  • Behindthelense

Why are you scared? It's their job to make you better. Are you afraid of being judged? Or having to take medication? 

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    I am not sure why I am scared. Maybe I am scared of the medicines. Maybe I am scared they they will find something else Something serious. Maybe they will say in am too depressed to raise my kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why are you scared?  Are you scared of having to take meds for it?  Some people do very well with seeing a therapist or counselor.  Sometimes diet and exercise changes can help.  Personally I felt a lot better after I started taking magnesium supplements.  And stay away from anything with st. john's wart in it.  It can make major depression worse and it can interact negatively with certain medicines.

• lancet98
    February 13, 2013 at 6:58 AM

What are you afraid of?  

Basically what happens is the doctor will ask what brought you in, you'll say you've been having depression, he or she will recommend counseling and possibly medication.   And say, 'hope you feel better soon'. 

It's a pretty simple thing. 

If you go to a psychiatrist, they work a lot on if there are any other conditions causing your depression - in other words, physical health can affect your mood.   For example a friend of mine had a chronic infection that was very painful, over six months.   She developed depression due to chronic pain.   Just treating the depression wouldn't have done the job.   That's basically what a psychiatrist is trained in - full medical doctor plus extra training in problems like depression.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts