Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
GibsonSD92
Look what my 5 y/o nephew brought home from school yesterday
February 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Does anyone else think this is beyond inappropriate!?! I can't believe his teacher didn't know better from the start. They were rinsed but idk if that changes my opinion on this situation at all. My brother will be up there speaking with administration as soon as he leaves work today.. But I'm just baffled. WHO could possibly think that was a good idea!?

Smh.

ETA: it's just a little art project. But the class was using an assortment of alcohol bottles. Obviously nothing to SPAZ about. But I DO think it should be addressed. To me it's just not appropriate in a kindergarten classroom.

ETA2: I just thought the labels should have been removed as well. I have no other issues with them using the bottles. They were rinsed but a lot of kids know what the label is and a lot of kids don't because they have alcohol free homes. I think it's up to the parents judgment to decide when they want alcohol bottles around their children.

ETA3: the project had something to do with the book "whistling Dixie". I've never read it so I don't really know what the plot entails. I didn't really get an answer as to what the project is either since essentially they just put paper around bottles and colored them a little..

Also, the bottles were plastic. I didn't even think to ask him until someone else noticed it in the picture. Again, let me reiterate my stance on this.. I do not agree with the alcohol bottles being used WITH the labels still on them. I'm all for cheap art supplies for teachers and using recycleables, I just feel a little more preparation could have been done before they did the project. To each their own though and thankfully this one wasn't mine to handle. :) thanks for all the opinions ladies. Even those of you who contributed nothing but snarky comments, really thanks for the entertainment. Lmfao.

Oh & I am deffff not a crunchy mom but it's crazy how quickly some of you would assume that from one post!

Replies

• howdah
    by howdah
    February 10, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I have done craft projects with kids many times over the years, and I always use as many recyclables as I can. No matter what it was, an instant coffee jar, a baby food jar, a peanut butter jar, a water bottle, I would remove the label before doing the project.

That said, perhaps the teacher did not know how to remove the label. That can sometimes be hard to do, especially on a plastic bottle or jar. Getting small bottles is hard. When grandson was in kindergarten, his teacher put out a request several times for small bottles for a project she wanted to do with the kiddies, and never got enough to do the project. My daughter and I went to a supermarket and walked up and down the aisles looking for things in the size she wanted thinking that we could buy a different brand or different size of something that we could use, and the only thing we could find was small bottles of soy sauce, and even a small bottle lasts a long time. So the airplane booze bottles may have been the only thing she could find. But I do agree that the labels should have come off first.

• ladyhpoet
    February 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I dont agree on that project most deffinately I would talk to the teacher or principal.

• jillmamck
    February 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Very funny!!!!  When I was class mother for 4th graders I made a copy of correct place settings to use as a place mat and it showed where all the different wine glasses went as well.   I was joking with one of my sons classmates and I told her that if she gets a formal dinner invitation at some point (maybe the the governor or a wedding) she will know what all the glasses are for?  We were laughing!!!   The bottles should not have had labels....

• Readyforbaby2
    February 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Wow. Just wow...

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

Wouldn't fly in our district that teacher would be Siberia being re- educated that's if she was safe guarded and if she was a new teacher she would most like be out of a job..

Regardless if mom and dad drink or don't drink.. This item is for those over the age of 21 period it has no business being in the hands of a child.. Be it full or empty!

Would you let your kid play with empty cigarette boxes, unloaded guns or retracted syringes???

I hate when parents can't be hypocrites- I'm sorry but if your a damn drinker at least do everything to ensure your child doesn't do it.. Playing with empty bottles sure won't help in that prevention!

It's as bad as the parents of terns who say "well I smoked" "well I had sex" "I work 60 hrs a week to support my child as a teen mom" HELLO.... And you want the same for your child why???

• spinnet1806
    February 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM

The harm can come because those  " Small bottles look like Toys"  This once happened to me when someone brought me one of those  miniatures and when my son found a full sized bottle of the same brand, he assumed it was also a toy.  He became angry when I took it away ( bad attitude & tone of voice) and earned himself some soap on the tounge and a bit of a bottom warming over my knee. I have since installed a lock on the liquor cabinet. The danger of giving children exposure to thiese items, is that they MAY ingest some of the REAL product and become Very Sick because of it. All those who are in disagrement with what happened, you have my support.  

• SavdNSanctified
    February 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    We do not take our kids places where alcohol is served. They have never seen a bottle of alcohol. She does not need to know what it is at 5 years old. I will have that talk with her in a few years. I know this is very hard for some people to grasp, buy do try.

Quoting Anonymous:

The school most likely did NOT show her the first bottle of alcohol.  Do you ever eat outside of your home!?  Do you shop in a grocery store!?  Bottles of alcohol are EVERYWHERE, but your daughter hasn't asked you questions because it's NO BIG DEAL!  You are getting your panties twisted for no reason.  There is nothing wrong with alcoholic beverages, but when you are so tightly wound that you don't think that your child should know what it is, then you are going to have major issues on your hands in the future.

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

You're missing my point. I can explain it but I don't feel I should have to be talking to my kindergartner about alcohol at this early stage in her life. It's not the school's job to show her her first bottle of alcohol and introduce such a grown up topic to her. I will teach her about it. Or even D.A.R.E. could talk to her about it. But sending her home with a bottle of it is the wrong move.

Quoting Anonymous:

So your kid asks!? If you are so comfortable with your beliefs, then WHY can't you explain it! SMH

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

I would be very upset if my child brought an alcohol bottle home from school! We are a no alcohol home and it is never allowed around my kids. I do not think the school should be introducing it to children. I know my child would ask me what it says and then what it means.

• Anonymous 53
    by Anonymous 53
    February 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM

So you are actually saying that you have NEVER taken your daughter to the grocery store, Target, Walmart, Walgreens, etc. OR a sit down restaurant!?  Sure!

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

We do not take our kids places where alcohol is served. They have never seen a bottle of alcohol. She does not need to know what it is at 5 years old. I will have that talk with her in a few years. I know this is very hard for some people to grasp, buy do try.

Quoting Anonymous:

The school most likely did NOT show her the first bottle of alcohol.  Do you ever eat outside of your home!?  Do you shop in a grocery store!?  Bottles of alcohol are EVERYWHERE, but your daughter hasn't asked you questions because it's NO BIG DEAL!  You are getting your panties twisted for no reason.  There is nothing wrong with alcoholic beverages, but when you are so tightly wound that you don't think that your child should know what it is, then you are going to have major issues on your hands in the future.

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

You're missing my point. I can explain it but I don't feel I should have to be talking to my kindergartner about alcohol at this early stage in her life. It's not the school's job to show her her first bottle of alcohol and introduce such a grown up topic to her. I will teach her about it. Or even D.A.R.E. could talk to her about it. But sending her home with a bottle of it is the wrong move.

Quoting Anonymous:

So your kid asks!? If you are so comfortable with your beliefs, then WHY can't you explain it! SMH

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

I would be very upset if my child brought an alcohol bottle home from school! We are a no alcohol home and it is never allowed around my kids. I do not think the school should be introducing it to children. I know my child would ask me what it says and then what it means.

• SavdNSanctified
    February 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    We don't go down the alcohol aisles. And she hasn't been to a restaurant since she was 2. That was 3, almost 4 years ago. And there was never any alcohol bottles that I saw when we were there. I really wonder where some of you people live where it seems that alcohol is apparently EVERYWHERE around you and your children!

Quoting Anonymous:

So you are actually saying that you have NEVER taken your daughter to the grocery store, Target, Walmart, Walgreens, etc. OR a sit down restaurant!?  Sure!

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

• witchybabymomma
    February 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I agree labels should have been removed before the kids handles them at all

• mommyof24ever
    February 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    Quoting spinnet1806:

The harm can come because those  " Small bottles look like Toys"  This once happened to me when someone brought me one of those  miniatures and when my son found a full sized bottle of the same brand, he assumed it was also a toy.  He became angry when I took it away ( bad attitude & tone of voice) and earned himself some soap on the tounge and a bit of a bottom warming over my knee. I have since installed a lock on the liquor cabinet. The danger of giving children exposure to thiese items, is that they MAY ingest some of the REAL product and become Very Sick because of it. All those who are in disagrement with what happened, you have my support.  

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts