Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Question for Christians - no hate here. *ETA in red*
by Anonymous
February 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I am an atheist, and I am curious since I'm seeing so many "godliness = goodness" posts today.

First let me start by saying; if you have faith in a god or gods, no matter your religion, and you are good person, great! I LOVE good people, no matter their beliefs.

However, I wonder, do you believe that if you didn't have faith in your god or gods that you wouldn't be able to be a good person?

I ask this because, as an atheist who is a good person... that scares the shit out of me, seriously. I mean, if you think that without god and the promise of heaven or fear of hell that you would just be out killing people and stealing from them, that's fucking scary! I am good without god, and I'd like to believe that religious people would also be good without god... say you never heard of god, wouldn't you still be a good person?

I want to thank you ladies for this discussion. I am enjoying the different interpretations of your faith and learning how and what you believe, and I appreciate the civility and thoughtfulness of your responses. I was a little scared this would turn into a screaming match between believers and nons, and am impressed by your class and respect. Thank you all!

Replies

• jillbailey26
    February 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I was a good person before I found my faith.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    February 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM

That makes me feel better... I was starting to get the impression that a lot of religious people believe that morality is impossible without religion lol.

Quoting jillbailey26:

• kaiser10123
    February 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    Just because you don't believe doesn't make you a bad person at all. There are people who believe and are some of the shittiest(sp.) people on the face of the Earth. :)
  • catrig
    by catrig
    February 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I don't think you need religion to be a good person.

• caito
    by caito
    February 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Yeah I don't like it when we're accused of being evil, moralless people because we're atheists. Not cool, brah.

• tifbrown
    February 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Regardless of God, I would still be a good person. The feeling of doing things to help others, or make others smile makes me feel good. I can't live my life with my heart filled with negativity. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    February 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

It hurts me that there are those who feel that way about us... which is why I'm anon right now lol. I'm just crossing my fingers, hoping that those people are not the majority.

Quoting caito:

Yeah I don't like it when we're accused of being evil, moralless people because we're atheists. Not cool, brah.

• notjstasocermom
    February 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

• got2monsters
    February 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    there are tons of good people in the world who arent followers of christ. i do not believe that simply believing in God makes you a good or bad person. human nature makes you a good or bad person. ive seen some "no good christians" and ive seen awesome people who are athiests.
  • KenneMaw
    February 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Athiests, pagans, wiccans, etcc... can all be good people.  You can have a kind heart and a solid moral compass without believing in a higher power.   It is silly when people think that you can't be good without God (Allah, Buddha, etc..)    I have known many believers who have broken many of the 10 commandments.  So to turn the table, I don't think just because you believe in God or god(s) that you are necessarily a good person.  For every priest who has molested a child, for every preacher who has cheated or beat their wives, they are not good people.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts