Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
CV3
"Traditional/Oldfashioned" Gender Roles
by CV3
February 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Do you believe in them?

Do you live your life by them?

How important is it to you to live this way?

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works or even the somewhat newer Husband is the major breadwinner but wife works part time to supplement. Baisically anything that puts the man as the money maker and the woman as the homemaker as their main focus.

Wow I am featured.  Was not expecting that!

Replies

• mommyof11050307
    February 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM
    I'm a SAHM and that's where the traditional roles stops. I do most of the stuff around the house but my husband is expect to help. He is a very hands on dad with the kids.
  • Jazmyn1
    by Jazmyn1
    February 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM
    I believe people should care less about material things and take care of their family!!! Yes mom should be mainly home!! I think this is a huge problem with society and our kids today they have no guidence and supervision and no one to teach them morals. Jmo sorry I feel very strongly about this
  • luckystars2012
    February 5, 2013 at 10:47 PM

LOL no. I am an independent, educated, six figure earning woman.  I control my own finances, my SO controls his, and that wont be changing.  

I dont believe in the institution of marriage, and am perfectly happy in my domestic partnership.

I DO believe in old school discipline and manners.  I parent the way my grandparents did/do (they are raising my cousins, so ive been able to watch up close and personal).  I believe that the softhearted coddling "parenting" going on today is one of the biggest problems in our society, kids are being raised in a "please everybody" world where "politically correct" is more important than common sense, and it is ruining America.  Not gonna happen with my kids.

• mybabyapples
    February 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    It's a balanced mix here.
  • xomrsweaver
    February 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I'm somewhere in the middle I suppose.

• pampire
    by pampire
    February 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM

If traditional works for your family/relationship, cool, do it.  If non-traditional works, cool, do it.

We are a mix of both and it works for us.  That's what is important to me.  For the first 6 years of our relationship we were more non-traditional, in that I was the sole breadwinner and he stayed home and kept house plus doing the manly fixit stuff.  I've always been the main cook, by choice and before we had a laundry room at home would do the bulk of laundry detail.

• BonnieBabes
    February 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I believe in them but dont live by them. By partner has a fulltime job and im a fulltime student/parttime worker I still am a homemaker its just not my main focus. Family then work.

• PolishMamma2
    February 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM

We have a " Old Fashion Home "  And we are both happy with it. I am perfectly able to stand on my own 2 feet if anything unforseen was to happen to my DH but i love being able to be at home with our kids and watch them grow. I feel good knowing that I am raising our kids Not some woman at a Daycare. And I enjoy doing all the " house wife" stuff just as I used to enjoy working.

• Tay06
    by Tay06
    February 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I would go crazy if I had to be a SAHM.  I know how much effort and stress they are under, because I know how crazy kids can be, but I would also go crazy because I have to get out of my house at least five days a week.  When I had my son, I stayed home with him for the first five months of his life.  I was a sophomore in college and all of my classes were online.  I nearly went crazy.  My SO and I have talked about it, and we decided that if for some reason when we have another baby it needs to stay home longer than the expected 6 weeks, then he will be a stay at home dad because I just can't do it.  I want to work outside of the home.  We are equal in our relationship, but we both have our strengths.  He has more patience for our son, but I can understand what our two year old says way easier than he can ironically.  He knows how to fix/take care of our cars and I can handle a baby vomitted/ pooping all over me.  We work well together haha

• MMerrill
    February 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Yes we believe in them and live by them.  We're old fashioned but not to an extreme.  My husband works, he is the bread winner and the head of the household.  I am a homemaker (for now)  and it's not that I'm his "bitch" or that we aren't equal... I can go back to work or go pursue anything I want but I'm better at doing the homemaking and he makes way more money than I could ever think of, so he'll definitely continue to be the bread winner.  I respect what he does and he respects what I do.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN