Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
CV3
"Traditional/Oldfashioned" Gender Roles
by CV3
February 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Do you believe in them?

Do you live your life by them?

How important is it to you to live this way?

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works or even the somewhat newer Husband is the major breadwinner but wife works part time to supplement. Baisically anything that puts the man as the money maker and the woman as the homemaker as their main focus.

Wow I am featured.  Was not expecting that!

Replies

• Squid12
    by Squid12
    February 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    Quoting SuDoNim:

Women have always had the ability to chose. Free will cannot be given nor taken away. You always have the right to chose. Susan B. Anthony worked her whole life towards forwarding civil rights starting with slavery. Lucretia Motts spent her life raising kids and fighting for civil liberties. E.C. Starting is another. All before women ever had "civil liberties". The women's lib movement devalued the home maker and made her less than a man. That's the real crime here. Did you know that the only reason we have portraits of every president is because when the white house was burning Dolly Madison refused to leave until all the portraits and cultural pieces had been removed. Women have always had a considerable amount of power, only in the last 50 years have women lost power squabbling over it with other women.

ps. The only reason women have the right to vote is because of one mother. On the day her senator son went to cast his vote she tucked a note in his pocket telling him to "do the right thing". One woman changed our lives forever. Yet we never hear about her or teach our children about her because we have devalued the homemaker. And the feminists are the worst.
  • hellomilla
    February 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    I guess this is when we agree to disagree. I do understand your point of view, I just don't feel the same way.

Quoting SuDoNim:

It's not a matter of one role being more important than the other, it's about basic civil rights and being able to choose one's role. You chose to be a homemaker, and I chose to work outside the home; both are important, but more important is the fact that we have a choice. I don't believe the world was a better place when women didn't have the right to choose their role in life.

Quoting hellomilla:

Just because we didnt have the same roles/place in society didnt mean that we were beneath men. The role of a homemaker is just as important as the role of "the bread winner".

Quoting SuDoNim:

How can women be equal if they don't have the same civil rights as men? The fact the women have had to fight for the right to be educated, vote, hold political office or have a career demonstrates that we were (are?) not viewed as equal, for no other reason than we don't have penises. 

Quoting hellomilla:

Yes, I understand that. It is from the uproar that it led to. Asking for the right to vote led to other "rights" they felt that we needed because they felt women weren't being seen as equals.

Quoting SuDoNim:

But you blame the women's suffrage movement; do you not understand that "suffrage" is the right to vote? 

Quoting hellomilla:

I never said women shouldn't have the right to vote. I just don't think they should be employed outside of the house.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

• Anonymous 34
    by Anonymous 34
    February 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Most women were working during the forties while most men were at war....
  • SuDoNim
    by SuDoNim
    February 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM

How is it "devaluing to homemakers" for women to be allowed to vote and pursue her individual dreams the same way a man can? What devalues homemaking is women being expected to do so full-time, whether she wants to or not.

ETA: Regarding Harry Burn, he may have cast the deciding vote, but it was 70 years of fighting that led up to that point.  

Quoting Squid12:

Quoting SuDoNim:

Women have always had the ability to chose. Free will cannot be given nor taken away. You always have the right to chose. Susan B. Anthony worked her whole life towards forwarding civil rights starting with slavery. Lucretia Motts spent her life raising kids and fighting for civil liberties. E.C. Starting is another. All before women ever had "civil liberties". The women's lib movement devalued the home maker and made her less than a man. That's the real crime here. Did you know that the only reason we have portraits of every president is because when the white house was burning Dolly Madison refused to leave until all the portraits and cultural pieces had been removed. Women have always had a considerable amount of power, only in the last 50 years have women lost power squabbling over it with other women.

ps. The only reason women have the right to vote is because of one mother. On the day her senator son went to cast his vote she tucked a note in his pocket telling him to "do the right thing". One woman changed our lives forever. Yet we never hear about her or teach our children about her because we have devalued the homemaker. And the feminists are the worst.

• SuDoNim
    by SuDoNim
    February 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM

See that's the thing: your belief for yourself shouldn't extend toward women in general. You can believe in being a SAHM without believing that all women should do the same.

Quoting hellomilla:

I guess this is when we agree to disagree. I do understand your point of view, I just don't feel the same way.

Quoting SuDoNim:

It's not a matter of one role being more important than the other, it's about basic civil rights and being able to choose one's role. You chose to be a homemaker, and I chose to work outside the home; both are important, but more important is the fact that we have a choice. I don't believe the world was a better place when women didn't have the right to choose their role in life.

Quoting hellomilla:

Just because we didnt have the same roles/place in society didnt mean that we were beneath men. The role of a homemaker is just as important as the role of "the bread winner".

Quoting SuDoNim:

How can women be equal if they don't have the same civil rights as men? The fact the women have had to fight for the right to be educated, vote, hold political office or have a career demonstrates that we were (are?) not viewed as equal, for no other reason than we don't have penises. 

Quoting hellomilla:

Yes, I understand that. It is from the uproar that it led to. Asking for the right to vote led to other "rights" they felt that we needed because they felt women weren't being seen as equals.

Quoting SuDoNim:

But you blame the women's suffrage movement; do you not understand that "suffrage" is the right to vote? 

Quoting hellomilla:

I never said women shouldn't have the right to vote. I just don't think they should be employed outside of the house.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

• SuDoNim
    by SuDoNim
    February 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM

They most certainly were. Women took on the roles of homemaker and breadwinner while their men were fighting the war. The iconic 1950's housewife was a backlash against Rosie the Riveter. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Most women were working during the forties while most men were at war....

• daytonbaby210
    February 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM

We are not a traditional old fashioned family and will probably not be one. I believe in equality in a relationship and playing maid to my husband is not a part of that.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    February 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM

LMAO you dont want women EMPLOYED outside the house.. Your fucking crazy! You dont value women rights, choice and freedom of speech. I hate to be your friend! I hate people like you that think women are supposed to get married after 18, stay a virgin, wear white at the wedding. Give birth as many times the husband say, fuck any time he wants. yes FUCK, Fuck is the same as sex. and do whatever he says and bring GOD into a marriage PSH SMH. Im not a Animal, i dont go having babies 24/7 just because i have two tits and a vagina/uterus.
    So basically Women are here on this earth to serve men, not go to college and get a education. Because you know if they go to college/university they have to get a degree and that means they can get a job outside the house which entials leaving and driving. Making money? I guess you think thats absurd lol.. your nuts lmao.. weird weird... Actually my husband would prefer me working, driving and taking kids to places. I dont... i rather stay home while he makes money but at the same time he has to cook, clean, do laundry, make the bed. put his clothes on the hanger and hamper. etc etc... because as human beings we all should pitch in. Especially mean. I dont like lazy ass men who dont do a damn thing but work.

Quoting hellomilla:

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting hellomilla:

• Anonymous 35
    by Anonymous 35
    February 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM

We live by them, but not 'by the book' so to speak. My partner goes out to work, brings home the dough and only does outside related jobs at home. I stay at home, and keep house. Cleaning, cooking, baking, sewing, creative stuff, and obviously the internet when I have time.

I feel it is moderately important for a stable home. I mean, if it's not your way, awesome, but for us it works well. I've been in 'new age' relationships in the past, and they just don't hold up.

• Kaya529
    by Kaya529
    February 5, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    I prefer the type of relationship where each does what they are good at. If I am better at making money and fixing things around the house while he is better at child rearing and cleaning house than I am good with that. If our strengths lend more toward the traditional than that is okay too.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN