Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
ArisMom208
Yes i hit your dog, and no! i did not stop to check if it was okay!
February 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Today i was driving my durango out to the lake. Its on backroads out in the country. I was driving, and being careful because even tho its 40 degrees outside, theres still random ice spots on the roads. I happened to look outside the side window for just a second and BAMM! I hit a dog. It was a great dane sized dog. It hit hard, and i didn't see the dog and my heart dropped (believe it or not, i am an animal lover) so i opened the door and the dog came charing at me, jumping up scratched the door and chased my truck biting at the tires. 

Like hell if i was going to get out to check on that dog. If it still had that much mean in it, it was good enough confirmation for me.  I got out to the lake, and a truck pulls up and starts writing down my plate numbers, i asked if there was a problem and he said i hit his dog and drove off without even checking if the dog was okay. I told him i DID hit his dog, i'm not gonna lie. However, i told him the dog charged and tried attacking me and i wasn't going to stay around with that shit. 

He took my plate number, and then got the dog out of his truck. The dog was nice, i apologized but explained the situation and he continued to bitch that its illegal and i could be charged with hit and run and that he plans on calling the police and seeing what action he should take. The dog was fine, could jump in the back of his lifted truck. 

And besides that, i still have out of plate licenses, so its not a curent address anyways.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM

If it were up to the townsfolk where I live, you would get life in prison for hitting a dog with your car.  But not if you hit a person, then no one would care. 

• Vixcalamity
    February 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
    I'm assuming you aren't in TX. It was high 70s. You can't be charged for a hit and run on an animal that was running wild. What a moron.
  • danie24
    by danie24
    February 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM

LOL - you're so full of shit. You cannot be arrested for accidentally hitting an animal while driving on the road.

It can be dangerous to stop and check on an animal you've hit. Dangerous because it's a strange animal. Dangerous because animals are more prone to bite when injured. And dangerous because you could get hit by a car, especially if it's a busy road or the highway.

Are we suppose to stop and check on chickens, cats, birds and raccoons, too?

If an owner is irresponsible and allows his pet to run free, without a leash, and someone hits it with a car accidentally, that person cannot get in trouble. The owner is completely at fault. And the OWNER can be sued for damages / mental anguish by the person who hit the animal.

Quoting mary841108:

that is not true in the united states. some states would and will charge for a hit and run when you hit a dog. how do i know? my cousins are cops here and have arrested people for it

Quoting danie24:

He was probably breaking leash laws.

You have no legal obligation to check the animals you accidentally hit. Only people.

• mary841108
    February 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM

just dogs...NYS law, go look it up. seriously, it is considered (at least in cities) to be a hit and run. people have gotten ticketed for it and if the owners of the dog want to, they can press charges.

Quoting danie24:

LOL - you're so full of shit. You cannot be arrested for accidentally hitting an animal while driving on the road.

It can be dangerous to stop and check on an animal you've hit. Dangerous because it's a strange animal. Dangerous because animals are more prone to bite when injured. And dangerous because you could get hit by a car, especially if it's a busy road or the highway.

Are we suppose to stop and check on chickens, cats, birds and raccoons, too?

If an owner is irresponsible and allows his pet to run free, without a leash, and someone hits it with a car accidentally, that person cannot get in trouble. The owner is completely at fault. And the OWNER can be sued for damages / mental anguish by the person who hit the animal.

Quoting mary841108:

that is not true in the united states. some states would and will charge for a hit and run when you hit a dog. how do i know? my cousins are cops here and have arrested people for it

Quoting danie24:

He was probably breaking leash laws.

You have no legal obligation to check the animals you accidentally hit. Only people.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I could understand not getting out of the car if the dog was being aggressive, although I'd be aggressive too if someone had hit me with their car and I still had the capacity to move around. Sitting there until the owner arrived or calling the police on your own would have been a good idea anyways. If you hit my dog and drove away, I'd be upset too. But my dogs are never unleashed off my property.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Yikes!
  • MrsRobinson06
    February 5, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    The insurance company I work for considers hitting an animal a comprehensive claim because animals are unpredictable. Meaning its not your fault. Of course every state is different though.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM

All insurance companies file this under comprehensive as animal damage is considered an act of nature, thus not the fault of the person that hit the animal. You can't predict when an animal will run out in front of a car, just like you can't predict a flash flood or a lightning strike.

• Jaydons_mommy09
    February 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    They won't do anything. I hit a dog before. I called animal control and they said if there is damaged to my car that I can sue the owners of the dog. Cause they were not taking care of their dog.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM

As long as you weren't on that man's personal property I wouldn't worry about it.  He should have had the dog on a leash or in a fence.  

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts