Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
KrissyKC
My baby choked today... and I'm not an inexperienced mom...
February 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

He was eating pears, canned pears... they were soft and I cut them into what I thought was baby sized bites.

He choked anyway and usually if he gags on something, he gets it up right away.

He didn't....

I grabbed him and flipped him upside down over my arm...

He still didn't...

Did this two more times, and he started to be really pale-ish... Thought for sure... it's a stupid piece of soft canned pear... He's GOT to expell it...

He STILL didn't...

I REALLY started to fear for him now, and reacted by the gut... grabbed him in one arm, held his face against my shoulder and jammed my finger down his throat, hooking the piece of pear with my finger and yanked...

*sigh*... big big sigh of relief as he starts coughing and gasping for air....

This, I remind myself, is why parenting is for adults... and this is why I trust my 11 year old little by little, but could she react the same as a 35 year old woman in an emergency????

So I guess this is a spin off of the posts about young girls babysitting little kids.  They may be terrific with them... may know all the emergency numbers... etc...   but could they respond like an adult in some situations??

If I hadn't dug that pear out and chose to call 911 for help instead, he would have been without oxygen for a VERY long time before help could come.

Replies

• KrissyKC
    February 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

really strange side note... my little boy is sooo dang laid back... as soon as he coughed a few times, he laughed at me... the little snot... scare the crapola out of your mother and laugh about it!

• mommiieof1b2g
    February 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    Scary! I am sooo paranoid about food!
  • kidlover2
    February 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    I was 14 when I saved a 18month old from a apple piece in his windpipe. It is scary! But it's not complicated. Imho if you can't do it at 13, you probably still won't be able to do it at 35.
  • KrissyKC
    February 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Sometimes, I think having four kids actually works against me...  I get too relaxed.  Because the piece I pulled out was a lot bigger than the other pieces, so obviously the mistake was my own...  maybe an 11 yr old would be better than me I guess, but I know that kids can choke on anything...

Quoting mommiieof1b2g:

Scary! I am sooo paranoid about food!

• poeticrose09
    February 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I saved my younger brother who needed cpr becuase I was trained when I was 12. Doesnt really matter the age but the maturity of the child. 

• brandydesiree
    I am the queen of the finger hook. I've saved quite a few kiddos from choking with just my finger.
  • RLT2
    by RLT2

I agree with you. Someone I trust with my children with had better be able to deal with fires, choking, unexpected bee sting allergies etc. I just can't see some kid being able to think clearly enough in a scary situation. I know alot of adults aren't worth a hill of beans either but, at least you have a fighting chance with an adult.

• misskriss10
    February 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

That's scary! But I'm glad he is okay! 

• christyg
    February 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

My 11yo daughter watched me turn a baby over and pound his back when he got a piece of food stuck ... and then we talked about what I did and why so that she would know what to do if she was in the same situation. Life is full of lessons if we take the time to talk about them. I dont think she is ready to babysit yet, but she certainly knows what to do now if a baby is choking :)

• MistyMoo
    February 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    If they get a CPR course they'd react the same most likely..my son choked on a banana when he was 6 months old... Scared the shot out of me!!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts