Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
KrissyKC
My baby choked today... and I'm not an inexperienced mom...
February 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

He was eating pears, canned pears... they were soft and I cut them into what I thought was baby sized bites.

He choked anyway and usually if he gags on something, he gets it up right away.

He didn't....

I grabbed him and flipped him upside down over my arm...

He still didn't...

Did this two more times, and he started to be really pale-ish... Thought for sure... it's a stupid piece of soft canned pear... He's GOT to expell it...

He STILL didn't...

I REALLY started to fear for him now, and reacted by the gut... grabbed him in one arm, held his face against my shoulder and jammed my finger down his throat, hooking the piece of pear with my finger and yanked...

*sigh*... big big sigh of relief as he starts coughing and gasping for air....

This, I remind myself, is why parenting is for adults... and this is why I trust my 11 year old little by little, but could she react the same as a 35 year old woman in an emergency????

So I guess this is a spin off of the posts about young girls babysitting little kids.  They may be terrific with them... may know all the emergency numbers... etc...   but could they respond like an adult in some situations??

If I hadn't dug that pear out and chose to call 911 for help instead, he would have been without oxygen for a VERY long time before help could come.

Replies

• lilmama3189
    February 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    My ds1 choked @ 17 months on an apple wedge, ds2 choked @ 13 months on an oreo, dd choked @ 19 months on a pb&j sandwhich & has been choking on pretty much everything ever since. She can only eat cheerios or cocoa puffs or apple jacks without choking. Its the scariest thing EVER!! I freaked out & called 911 & walked outta the house when my dd choked, my dh & bil took care of it & got it out I was a nervous wreck. It took like 3 hours for my to calm down.. :-( A week before her first birthday she ate a pencil shaving & it got stuck in her throat so she kept gagging, i called 911 & when they got her she literly stuck her finger in her mouth & pulled it out. She choked on a muffin & birthday cake a few weeks ago.. my heart skips a beat literly everytime she takes a bite of any food because Im so scared.. Im glad your ds is okay..
  • marinenonstop
    February 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM

How old is he? When you flipped him over your arm did you do back slaps and chest compressions? I know its soooo scary to have your baby choke on you. Just be careful with the blind finger sweeps. If you can not see the object and try to remove it, it is possible to lodge it further. Im not trying to critisize I'm just offering some information.. So glad your LO is ok.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    February 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM

My teen did the same thing today on baby.

Talk talk talk- we have told them from the beginning stay calm and get the food out. you can panic after baby is safe.

• Susan0805
    February 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM
    When my dd was a crawling baby, i was cleaning the guest room (after my brother visited) and a coin from his pocket must of fell under the futon and before I realized what happened she put the coin in her mouth and started choking. I picked her up so fast and flipped her over and thrust her back and out flew the coin! It scared me to death! I just hugged her and we cried together! I know how awful it feels but I'm glad your little one is fine! I've had CPR an heimlich maneuver training but I honestly feel like what I did was instinct and reaction, idk.
  • Mel0dy
    by Mel0dy
    February 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Thats so scary. Thank god hes okay. My DD choked the other day. Most of the time it comes out right away on its own but this time I had to take her out of her highchair and flip her around and hit her on her back. I had to hit her back like 3 times before it came out. It scared the shit out of me. she was fine though lol she went right back to eating haha 

• OneToughMami
    February 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

From my experience children handle situations like this more calm than adults.

• MissMysteriouss
    February 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    I would never ever leave my baby with anyone.

I am glad your LO is ok.
  • The.Hug.Life
    February 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

My LO was getting a treat of some potato chips and Dh didn't break one down enough for her and she choked. Poor kiddo.

• KrissyKC
    February 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Yes, you are correct, and I know that, too... but when I got his mouth open, I could see not just one piece of pear, but two... so I pushed my finger down the side that looked like it had the most give and yanked it out.

My uncle saved my life when I was like 4...  we were visiting and I wanted some chewing gum, and I guess I was naughty and took like two or three pieces at once and choked on it really bad.   He did the whole finger yank, too because nothing else was working.   I don't remember it, but I guess it was a major deal because everyone remembers it.

Quoting marinenonstop:

How old is he? When you flipped him over your arm did you do back slaps and chest compressions? I know its soooo scary to have your baby choke on you. Just be careful with the blind finger sweeps. If you can not see the object and try to remove it, it is possible to lodge it further. Im not trying to critisize I'm just offering some information.. So glad your LO is ok.

• KrissyKC
    February 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Yes, for the ladies that pointed out that at 12 & 13, if you cannot respond appropriately then, that you might not as an adult.

Another thought I had, though, came from a movie I saw once.   I'm sure some one knows the movie... it was a kid that watched his brother drown and he froze... they were like 5 & 7 or somewhat ages... and he never forgot that he froze and didn't call for help.   His mother screamed at him and slapped him (I think) asking him, "Why... why did you just WATCH him die?!!" or something...

I am careful not only for my baby's sake, but also for my elder child's sake... that is a guilt that I don't want them to live with.   If something happens on my watch... it's my watch... as an adult...

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN