Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Do you think Audi is promoting sexual assault and teen violence in their Super Bowl ad?
February 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Super Bowl ‘Prom’ Ad Doesn’t Promote Sexual Assault … So Just Relax, People! (VIDEO)

Posted by Jenny Erikson on February 4, 2013 

Some people are attacking one of my favorite ads from this year’s Super Bowl as “promoting sexual assault” because it depicts a teenager forcing himself onto the prom queen. Le sigh, people.

Audi’s ‘prom’ ad shows a seriously cute teenage boy getting ready to attend prom stag (no explanation as to why such a cutie had a problem getting a date, but whatever). His dad gives him the keys to his Audi, and presumably from the courage he gains by driving such a hot car, he parks right in the principal’s spot, walks into the dance, and plants one on the prom queen. The prom king does not look pleased, and the scene cuts to the boy driving away with a black eye and a giant grin. The tag line reads: Bravery. It’s what defines us.

Rather than enjoying the super sweet commercial, some joyless people took to Twitter to condemn it as sexual assault. Um … ok. Not sure how you get that out of the commercial they played, but some people are really determined to stretch reality to fit their narratives.

Kissing a girl is not assault -- it’s called making a move. If you look at the girl’s reaction, it’s not exactly like she’s trying to push him away either. She even seems to enjoy it. Hey, maybe that’s why the kid doesn’t have a date to the prom! He’s never gotten up the gumption to tell her how he feels. Maybe, just maybe, based on her reaction, she feels the same way about him and would be glad to dump her ham-handed boyfriend for him.

Speaking of the prom king and the black eye he gave our hero, if the haters want to call sexism, why don’t they talk about the fact that Audi chose to portray the girl as helpless to defend herself and in need of a man to do it for her? Again, because it’s clear that while caught off guard, the girl liked the kiss. She kissed back. She smiled with a dazed look in her eyes after it was over.

Maybe the kid deserved a black eye for making a move on another guy’s girl -- but he certainly not one for sexual assault.

Do you think Audi is promoting sexual assault and teen violence in the ad?

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    February 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM

As soon as I saw this yesterday I said to DH Oh oh this ain't good. 

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    February 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    I think calling it sexual assault is over reacting. :/
  • mattiehatter
    February 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM

He kissed her not reached down her dress to feel her boobs. I thought it was funny.

• Buggy979
    February 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    I to me it showed courage and that you can always live your dream... We don't have that anymore. In todays world to many or most tend to hide or are afraid to conquer anything. because others will put you down, think the law is better or just say things to make themselves feel better because of their own insecurity..
  • jamamama00
    February 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Oh Jesus. Some people are beyond bored I guess. Maybe they need cafe mom, so they won't be inclined to make something outta nothing.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    February 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Well she didn't appear to mind...so how was it assault?  I mean if some gorgeous guy came up to me -said you look beautiful and hugged me-would that be assault? I mean if I didn't mind?

• TaraRichelle
    February 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM

This!

Quoting Buggy979:

I to me it showed courage and that you can always live your dream... We don't have that anymore. In todays world to many or most tend to hide or are afraid to conquer anything. because others will put you down, think the law is better or just say things to make themselves feel better because of their own insecurity..

• schatzi869
    February 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    Uh, no. Driving his dad's car gave him the confidence to kiss the girl. She didn't mind, and he thought it was worth the black eye. I liked it.
  • happinessforyou
    February 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I thought it took guts to go alone- and then try to kiss the Prom Queen in front of everyone. And NO- HE DID NOT "ASSAULT" HER!! (IMO)

And he was happy with his black eye!! Geezz.... nothing like running out to left field and screaming RAPE!!!!

Not even close!

• Phillipsmomm
    February 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I love that the underdog made his mark on her.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN