Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
MamaMoopsie
I don't judge those who don't do this...but I really think it's more personal to do this.
February 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM

So my SD's 10th birthday is coming up and all she can talk about is the type of cake she wants. I always make the cake myself and I make it personal for my family members. They tell me general shape or style of cake they want, what flavor cake and frosting and I go from there.

I always find store bought cakes...almost distasteful and impersonal.

So I just ordered a monkey shaped cake pan for SD's birthday (she wants a jungle themed party) and I was wondering if any other moms out there still make their kids' birthday cakes. I don't know anyone my age (late 20's) who does, they all buy store bought.

Here are a few cakes from the last year. My DH doesn't like frosting but LOVES gummy worms...so I tried to compromise on his cake.

Replies

• momtolittleg
    February 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I make DD's cakes, but then I do cakes/cupcakesas a hobby/side business, so I don't have the option, lol. 

• Bree0922
    February 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    I think it's awesome to make your own cake if you can make it taste and look good.... which I cannot do...lol... So, I always have mine made by a bakery :P
  • PhoenixsMommy10
    February 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    We buy cakes. That's the way my mom always did it as well.
  • KairisMama
    February 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    Store bought is gross. I either make my own or order special made from a bakery.
  • LilliesValley
    February 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    We have bought some and I make some. This year I made dd cake and got lots of compliments. I'm in my early 30's.
  • Groove
    by Groove
    February 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    We're a vegan family so I have no option but to make our cakes at home.
  • TTC2Long
    February 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    I don't like cake, I only like VERY specific kinds, with real ingredients, not crap. Even as a kid, I found store-bought cakes nasty. I like ice cream cakes, with both layers made of ice cream and crumbled chocolate wafers in between. I know - I'm picky! So wr always made mine at home. I prefer it that way. Always have. I also prefer homemade Halloween costumes.
  • Junesmommy18
    February 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    Dd's 4th Birthday was today. I make her a cake in a 4 shape.
  • justinnaimee
    February 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    I often make them. But I have a good friend who has a home based cake business. She'll do my kids cakes this year.
  • Luna091306
    February 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I make the cakes but they don't turn out quite as fancy as yours. lol

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN