Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
My3beautys
Left $24,000 after my grandmas death? Edit with more info!!
February 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM
My grandma recently passed away. She was in an Alzheimer's unit for 5 years prior to her death. Before she started going down hill she told my brother sister cousins and I that she had money for us and it was in her will. My brother is supost to get a larger sum then the rest of us because he was her favorite and the first born great grandson. Well at the funeral I asked my great aunt about the will her and my uncle said there was not a will.

We all became feroius that they would lie about it, I contacted my grandmas lawyer and they do have a will on file for her, I should know every thing Monday.

My aunt was spending my grandmas money before she even died, she bought a new car and did renos to her house with her money, my question is if she spent all the money but there is a will that says my siblings cousin and I are intitled to our money will she have to pay us back?

Also she said for the 5 of us not including my brother there was 120,000 supost to be split which is 24,000 each. That is a lot of money so could she go to prison if she spent it?

Btw my brother is poa but is in prison, also jut so you can see where I am coming from my aunt uncle and grandma sued my great grandma ( the on who just passed) for there fathers money after he passed and she was 80 at the time, it broke her heart.
She wrote them all out of the will after this so I do not think for one second that they wouldn't all jump in and take what is ours that our grandma wanted us to have.

Replies

• hudson.maggie
    February 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    I don't know.. Here's a bump
  • FooLynRoo
    February 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM

If your aunt had power of attorney, you would probably all have to group together to sue her for misuse of the funds, however if she has a decent lawyer, and was grannys care taker, she has a pretty good arguement in getting a new car , house reno's etc if it could all be relatable to helping take care of granny.

End of life care is expensive, especially if she was in a care facility, its possible grandma wanted to leave you something but at the end of the day after all the expenses are taken care of it could very well be gone.

Try to remember your grandmothers life instead of her money - it will be easier for you to find peace

• 3xangel
    by 3xangel
    February 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    Idk, but I'm sure you would be able to sue her if she spent what was supposed to be yours.
  • FooLynRoo
    February 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

btw totally tacky to ask about her mothers will at the funeral.. I don't blame her for telling you there isn't one.

If you were legally named, she would have no power over notification.

• coleysmama
    February 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    Really? You asked at the funeral?
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 2, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    Tackiness at its best. Your GRANDMOTHER is dead and you are worried about money

Quoting coleysmama:

Really? You asked at the funeral?
  • ninjakids
    I worked for John Hancock... If she was the poa & was taking care of her expenses etc. legally she can fight and recieve the money, especially if said aunt paid for the funeral. Ive seen it constant times. Also if the money was named in the will but the bene in life insurance was different it goes to the bene regardless of the will.
  • My3beautys
    My grandmas monthly income was enough to pay her nursing home stay, and the car was bought after she was in the nursing home and my grandma never left there the doctor comes to her.

I know the money isn't more important then my grandma but she always told us that it was ours and never let anyone take it from us.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

If your aunt had power of attorney, you would probably all have to group together to sue her for misuse of the funds, however if she has a decent lawyer, and was grannys care taker, she has a pretty good arguement in getting a new car , house reno's etc if it could all be relatable to helping take care of granny.

End of life care is expensive, especially if she was in a care facility, its possible grandma wanted to leave you something but at the end of the day after all the expenses are taken care of it could very well be gone.

Try to remember your grandmothers life instead of her money - it will be easier for you to find peace

• IandLoveandYou
    February 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Lmao at "supost" and "feroius"... I think those are my two favorite misspellings. Alzheimer's though... I'm impressed. Did you google it for the spelling? lol

• km1970
    by km1970
    February 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM

If she was in an Alzheimer's unit for 5 years, it is possible that $120,000 is long gone. Long term care is very expensive.

Like a pp poster said, why would the will even need to be brought up at her funeral..sad.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts