Mom Confessions

Anonymous
help plz! $100 for groceries for 2 weeks
by Anonymous
January 31, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I need ideas plz! Things should be better in a couple weeks. It's me, my husband and my 4 year old. I am thinking buying really cheap stuff like ramen for my husband and me and making sure ny daughter has veggies and real food. Currently I have no meat. The most we have till I shop tomorrow is a loaf of bread, a box of pasta, and a few boxes of cereal. We have peanut butter n jelly so that'll help n my daughter has a few cans of chicken noodle soup...

Replies

• lifeisajoy
    January 31, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Do you have a Save A lot?  They have good and cheap meat

Do you have other discount food stores like Aldis

I would shop at those stores and buy the following items-yogurt, fruit canned and fresh, meat, veggies canned and fresh, drink, bag of potatoes, chicken broth, rice, noodles, and spaghetti sauce-milk, eggs  and more bread you can buy a couple cheap snacks too if you want-

• SterlingHeart
    January 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    The Ralph's by my house has 10/10 deals on rice pasta and veggies
    Do ur stores have this?
  • tab022308
    January 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    Buy a meat that can go for days like a pork butt it can go for 3 or 4 days..cook it one day and make pulled pork BBQ with the dollar buns then make taco meat with and then make a pizza with it a whole chicken can easily go for 3 meals too it just is 3 and it does all the time it like 5 or 6 bucks for a whole bird and then go meatless..frozen veggies that are on sale for a dollar add on side
  • lalaboosh
    January 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Check out an asian market. They have some pretty tasty ingredients for cheap. Like stock up on noodles, soy sauce, green onions, maybe a little meat if they have a good price and make a bunch of ramen broth to keep in the fridge. Hardboil some eggs, slice them up, boil some noodles, BAM tasty filling dinner! Very cheap. And beans, make friends with beans. :)

• KrissyKC
    January 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM

eggs and pb are a terrific source of protien...

and we will add some frozen veggies (maybe even left over meat diced up) to Ramen soup.   My kids love that!!!

Yes, we buy most of our foods either at Aldi or at a food buying club.    Aldi rocks!!   Some deals they've had lately..

Baby carrots...45 cents... (usually around 1.20)

Whole avacado... 39 cents... (usually 80 cents or more)

We actually bought a bag of baking potatos off them for 9 cents once because they needed to sell down their inventory.

• pce68
    by pce68
    January 31, 2013 at 11:25 PM

mac and cheese, eggs (scrambled or fried for breakfast or egg salad for lunch), rice and black eyed peas, or black beans,pancake mix(I sometimes do breakfast for dinner - it's cheaper and kids love it), spaghetti without meat, that's about all i can think of now.

Have you tried going to a food pantry or the Salvation Army to get some food? they will give you canned stuff and then you can use your money to get perishables. Another good place to get food is St Vincent de Paul Society. Call your local Catholic church and see if there is a location near you.

• christyg
    January 31, 2013 at 11:25 PM

You can usually get 5 dozen eggs for about 5 bucks. Thats good cheap protein. Potatoes are good at making meals stretch too, and they are usually under 2 bucks for a 10 lb bag. I would be sure to get a bag of flour, sugar, baking supplies. Fresh muffins or biscuits, pancakes, waffles, etc are super cheap to make and make you emotionally feel less deprived. 

Skip any and all cleaners if you can, and just make do for the week. Check your cupboards and plan meals around what you already have.

• katelynsmommy30
    January 31, 2013 at 11:28 PM
    Ah, shouldn't be that awful! 100 for 2 weeks is not that bad! You've got lunch already, pb and j. You can also have the soup for lunch on the in between days. The pasta, you can use olive oil and spices (if you have some) to flavor it. Or get a green pepper and cut it up and throw it in the pasta with oil and spices. There is another dinner.
    Buy eggs, you can do hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs and of course add eggs to things you would need for a recipe.
    Milk
    Ground beef
    Canned fruits, try to get the ones that do not have all of the syrup. Get applesauce. These things won't go bad unlike fresh fruits and veggies.
    Get another loaf of bread
    Look through your freezer section, there should be frozen chicken (they come in bags, there are at least 7 breasts in a bag, for about 6 bucks depending where you live)
    Get frozen veggies.
    Cheese, you can add it to anything! Or cut it up as a snack.
    Carrots, they last awhile and you can eat them as a snack too.
    If your hubby likes ramen, he can use the noodles and packet and add things to it to make them different!
    Do you har staple items, like flour, sugar, some spices?
    Sorry I'm all over the road in a list! Trying to think of cheap, but good for you foods, that can get you by! But seriously 100, if you don't live in Hawaii lol, can be manageable! (I live in Hawaii, cost of things are outrageous!) I'm sure others will have a lot better advice! But good luck!

• sweetfox3
    January 31, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Hmmm.   I would get a couple boxes of oatmeal and a few dozen eggs and OJ concentrate.  Can you get WIC?  If you can, that'll help.   Breakfast is covered. For lunches and dinner, cheap stuff that can stretch...pork butt, beans, pasta, potatoes, rice, and ground meat.  Frozen veggies, carrots, and greens.

• jacquelynxox
    January 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    Pintrest has great ideas.

Mom Confessions