Mom Confessions

peanutsmommy1
do working fathers raise their kids
January 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Honest question

Why do we accuse women who work of letting someone else "raise their kids", but the standard does not apply to fathers? Does that mean that a SAHM raises the children and the father just pays for them? A working father is "taking care of his family", but a working woman is abandoning her children to be "raised" by someone else?

When your child enters school, does that mean that their teacher is raising them? Nope, nobody makes that accusation. They go to school and you "raise them" during the hours they are with you, right?

For any of the working moms who are tired of being based for working, come join the full time workin mamas group... where you will never be accused of letting daycare raise your kids !

Replies

• NoahandEliza
    January 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    I agree and see the logic...but inevitably, someone will argue.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 31, 2013 at 10:26 AM

omg..enough of this crap already! who gives a shit what anyone else says or feels..who cares????

• EmmaGlenn20
    January 31, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I agree....another one of those screwed up double standards.

• LiesLiesLies
    January 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    Of course.

That's like saying mothers with school age children don't raise their kids....
  • MrsSamMerlotte
    January 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    Dh works and I do about 90% of the raising and care taking.
  • owl0210
    by owl0210
    January 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Yup lol. 

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

I agree....another one of those screwed up double standards.

• peanutsmommy1
    January 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Quoting EthansFabMom:

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in DAYCARE and SCHOOL. Quit being so damn ignorant.

please explain

and I am not ignorant, I am making a valid point of a double standard women are held to

• peanutsmommy1
    January 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Dh works and I do about 90% of the raising and care taking.

would he be ok with you saying that you are the one raising the kids and he just finances your life?

• mary841108

um hmm, well my husband works full time 8 am til 4 pm. when we get back from picking him up from work, i head to the kitchen to start dinner and he will help them with homework or will pop on a show and they all take over the couch watching it. he tucks kids in at night, on weekends he will fix breakfast and hang out with them so i can have a short sleep in. he is amazing with the kids.

I personally dont think that working moms hand their kids off to others to be raised. that is an asinine assumption. Some, maybe, the ones that work day in and day out and cant be bothered with their kids at all i guess you can say that. but moms that work full or part time to sustain their families are not lumped into the 'you are selfish and letting others raise your kid' stigma that follows them

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I think I do the raising here. I'm choosing to stay home after having my newest (DD 5 months) so my DH choose to pick up another job and usually works both 6-7 days a week. If we have nothing planned on the weekends he will usually sleep in until around 12. He's not very active with the children when he's awake because he's "too tired". I understand that and don't nag him about, just wish he would suck it up and spend time with his children. Whenever I'm exhausted or sick I have to push through and carry on with my parenting duties, why can't he?

Mom Confessions