Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Anyone a paid caretaker for an elderly relative?
by Anonymous
January 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I am curious. I have had so many people tell that I could be getting legally paid to do what I am doing for my great grandma and I do need the money, but don't want her care to suffer in my absence. Is anyone here paid to care for their elderly family member? How did you go about it? Were there any trainings you had to take? Did you pay for the trainings out of pocket and if so how much did it cost? Thank you.

Replies

• thetrollcat
    January 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM

If I remember right my cousin did it... I think.... It is understandable those that are caring for an elder full time are losing out on financial... I think the elder has to pay unless they qualify for some form of hospice or something.

• babycarney08
    January 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    Call senior services in your area and they can help you out. I am a Pca. Through a company I care for elderly and mentally challenged. I live in pa. If u do message me and I can try to help you.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    January 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM

She needs lots of physical therapy and to go back and forth to appointments. I also have to make sure I am available to cook meals necessary for her diabetes and to check her sugar levels 4 times a day. She cannot bathe herself. She can barely walk even with the walker. My kids will help as much as they can, but they cannot help with the cooking or lifting. S/O is grossed out by the thought of having to wipe her when she goes to the bathroom and while he can cook, he definitely wouldn't be meeting her dietary guidelines. I will have a lot of work to do on top of my normal housework and homeschooling. I cannot see myself being able to work around his schedule if it could interfere with her doctors appointments and monitoring her health. I love my great grandma though and would prefer to struggle a bit financially than put her in a home especially even after they take her SS check we would still be responsible for a portion which is still not affordable for us. 

Quoting thetrollcat:

If I remember right my cousin did it... I think.... It is understandable those that are caring for an elder full time are losing out on financial... I think the elder has to pay unless they qualify for some form of hospice or something.

• supermama322
    January 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    You can receive payment for that I'm sure. I got paid for taking care of my mum after hip surgery
  • Anonymous
    January 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Quoting babycarney08:

Call senior services in your area and they can help you out. I am a Pca. Through a company I care for elderly and mentally challenged. I live in pa. If u do message me and I can try to help you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will contact the department of the aging first thing tomorrow morning.

• thetrollcat
    January 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I do understand. My granny passed away a few years back. It is a tough responsibility. I hope you find the help you need. I wish I had more to offer.

Quoting Anonymous:

She needs lots of physical therapy and to go back and forth to appointments. I also have to make sure I am available to cook meals necessary for her diabetes and to check her sugar levels 4 times a day. She cannot bathe herself. She can barely walk even with the walker. My kids will help as much as they can, but they cannot help with the cooking or lifting. S/O is grossed out by the thought of having to wipe her when she goes to the bathroom and while he can cook, he definitely wouldn't be meeting her dietary guidelines. I will have a lot of work to do on top of my normal housework and homeschooling. I cannot see myself being able to work around his schedule if it could interfere with her doctors appointments and monitoring her health. I love my great grandma though and would prefer to struggle a bit financially than put her in a home especially even after they take her SS check we would still be responsible for a portion which is still not affordable for us. 

Quoting thetrollcat:

• Anonymous
    January 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Quoting supermama322:

You can receive payment for that I'm sure. I got paid for taking care of my mum after hip surgery

Who did you contact for payment? Medicare or SS or the state?

• Anonymous
    January 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Thank you for the well wishes.

Quoting thetrollcat:

I do understand. My granny passed away a few years back. It is a tough responsibility. I hope you find the help you need. I wish I had more to offer.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

• dcdmattison03
    January 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM

My cousin takes care of her grandmother. She works through an agency but the insurance pays my cousin though

• Anonymous
    January 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Quoting dcdmattison03:

My cousin takes care of her grandmother. She works through an agency but the insurance pays my cousin though

Was she working for the agency before she had to care for her grandmother? Do you know? Thanks for the reply though.

Mom Confessions