Anonymous
wage garnishment
by Anonymous
January 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Anyone know if you have your wage garnished if they'll take your taxes

Replies

• LaughingTattoo
    January 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Its usally collection firms for a multitude of things....credit cards, student loans, personal loans, eviction, medical bills, ect....

They have to get a court judgement to do it but you do not get served the papers until after the money has been taken

Quoting imacafemomer:

Like who ?

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

Federal taxes can only be garnished for taxes owed for property or state , child support, and defaulted student loans. HOWEVER, a creditor can garnish your bank acct. The second the money hits it, they can withdrawl it and leave you dry

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    January 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    Quoting LaughingTattoo:

my mom is well off and I do have what I owe in there, I guess I got lucky
  • Anonymous 8
    by Anonymous 8
    January 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM

My husband has his wages garnished from an old credit card bill. They aren't taking his taxes, but we are using them to pay it off anyways. He has a SHITLOAD of credit card debt from before we met. :/ I just found out that we will be paying off about 10 grand of debt that I didn't know about. Of course, that's 5grand in fees... ugh. Oh well, we'll get through.

• Anonymous 1
    January 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    Quoting Anonymous:

My husband has his wages garnished from an old credit card bill. They aren't taking his taxes, but we are using them to pay it off anyways. He has a SHITLOAD of credit card debt from before we met. :/ I just found out that we will be paying off about 10 grand of debt that I didn't know about. Of course, that's 5grand in fees... ugh. Oh well, we'll get through.

ew debt sucks im paying bsck an eviction I co signed for nevrr even lived there awesome right? Stupid 18 year old mistake
  • Shopsha0911
    January 30, 2013 at 5:02 PM

This is how a bank lein works, the governement agency ie IRS or your state  will file a lien against your account for the full amount you owe and each time they resubmit the lein you get charges for filing fees and the full amount. They can take the money from any account that is attached to the person on the lein. If you have childrens accounts they will clean those out also. 

She said she had a wage garnishment  which is a completely different item. This could be an unpaid bill of any kind including taxes, they go to your current employer, the employer is required to take out say 15% of your gross per pay period. 

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

They are only allowed to with drawl the money once when they get the court judgement for bank garnishment. So they wait for a large amount to be deposited....they are not allowed to come after any more money after that.

Im not sure how they know when to zap the acct....I just know they can and will. I think they must be able to tell the bank a certain amount and as soon as its deposited they withdrawl. You usually get the court judgement regarding it AFTER the fact.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

im surprised thry waited for my pay checks then

• Anonymous 1
    January 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    Thank you everyone

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts